777 shelf life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10gaugemag

Reaction score
If stored in a temperature controlled environment, under 75°, low humidity has anybody noticed a reduced shelf life of an open container of 777 or even pellets for that matter?

I have 1 can of 777 I opened probably 3-4 years ago and am planning to work on a loose powder load after season. Just wondering if it will be suitable for use or would be better as fertilizer.

I finished off a container this summer that I opened in 2014 that shot just as well as this year’s powder. I personally couldn’t notice any difference without a chrono like Muzzy mentioned. Just keep the lid screwed on tightly when stored.

if you aren't using a chronograph i bet you cant tell the dif.

Just keep the lid screwed on tightly when stored.
And out of the sun. But I cant imagine a place to store powder in the sun.

Go kill some deer with it 10guage. If you get any complaint we could start a deer complaint hotline.

Reason I asked is because I once had a guy tell me he felt it really lost its snap in a few years.

I planned to shoot it anyway. Sight in and see if it seemed as peppy.

Went to the range with a friend who had a new jug of 777 FFF. I was shooting a two year old jug of same. I was not grouping well so I borrowed some of his new powder. Groups went back to normal.

Went to the range with a friend who had a new jug of 777 FFF. I was shooting a two year old jug of same. I was not grouping well so I borrowed some of his new powder. Groups went back to normal.
Part of the reason for my post. A member on another forum says same thing. He says 2 years max and then he noticed inconsistencies as well as harder clean up.

I have no real foundation to go off of as I don't have the rifle this powder was originally intended for use in and haven't had time to compare my new jug to old.

Maybe in a few months once season is gone and weather breaks I can compare the new vs old open container.

I've not had an issue. Mine stays sealed tightly, in climate control. I've shot pyrodex loose that is 10yrs old with no changes that are noticeable. Goes bang with authority, and hits where I aim. Have not shot real old T7, but others report the same there.

I've used the pellets over several years in an original Ultimate Firearms muzzy before they sold the rights to Remington. When shooting targets @ 300 yards with 4-5 year old pellets, my hits on paper had dropped ~8-10" when compared to new. I wish I had my chrony along during that range session. At 100 yards the drop was much less. With proper shot placement and good bullet design, the deer won't breathe no more. Over the last few years, I've switched to BH209 since it's virtually non-hygroscopic (which isn't the case with T7) and because I'm so anal you couldn't pull a sewing needle out of my ars. Given the current state of BH, I may switch back to T7 once I'm out. If that happens I'll vacuum seal between seasons.

Working in the aerospace industry I learned that propellants are temperature and humidity sensitive. I’ve always stored my propellants in the basement away from moisture. In a cabinet if possible. If you call the manufacturer and ask some pointed questions they will explain why this happens and proper storage methods. Shelf life is an issue as well. The old are discarded and replaced with new after a period of time.

I don’t have huge change in pellets I keep from one season past, and I generally have 2-3 boxes of opened 777 pellets left over each Fall - as long as I keep them closed, stored in moderate temps, and away from moisture saturated areas - they’ve been fine.

This year, I mixed an open box of 777 in with the rest from a friend - those pellets were completely unreliable. Some ignited, some didn’t, and some shot out like a 4th of July skyrocket - that box went in the bon fire. I can see how badly humid moisture and poor storage made the pellet load a dice roll on how they would shoot.

I've heard of guys putting pellets in a dehydrator. No idea if it works or not, but it sorta makes sense.

I have also heard of folks experiencing what AH64guy just posted, dud pellets due to poor storage.

Latest posts

Back