Tripple 7: Shelf Life and such

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Smoke

Reaction score
Got some T7 2F that is about 6 years old.  Two lbs not opened and one that is.  The one that is has some clumps, as I guess humidity got to it when I was at the range a few weeks ago.

T7 works well in my Cabelas Hawken and black is rare as hens teeth here.  So I shoot T7.

1.  What is shelf life of T7?  

2.  Can I just bust up the clumps and rock on?  Or should I toss it?

Most of us buy real powder online. It's pretty hard to find stores stocking it now, but that's no reason to not use it.

I'd toss the used bottle.

If the smell of it takes your breath, get rid of it. If its sort of sweet (not quite like smokeless) keep it.

I've read different ideas about shelf life or modern and black powder by guys that according to them are experts. That "according to them are experts" in their own minds, when you are trying to duplicate what they wrote and find they were wrong about half the time. 

One article in Muzzle Blast by Doc White years ago said he found most powders if kept in a dry place will last longer than most would think. He felt there is more powder modern or black that gets thrown out that could have been used. Some older powder may become weaker while others gain in strength (pressures). Probably do a little testing with starting out less of a charge, then build on that Old Smoke.  :roll:

Latest posts

Back