Orange Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
I have a bunch of PR 40cal bullets w/orange sabots.Anyone know what these might be? The bullets are boattails. I can call PR and get the info there but just wondering.Went to the range today and fired 5 Hornady SST 300gr 45cal. w/black sabots (HPH 24 or 12?) which fit noteably tighter than PRs w/orange sabots.I've never shot the Hornadys till today and boy do they shoot great in my Omega. 4 shots were inside 7/8" and a flier opened it up to 1 1/2". I used 110gr of Blackhorn w/CCI 209M.I would like to try a different sabot w/these 40cal PR bullets to try to improve their accuracy.

Ive not totally sure but MMP makes many sabots for PR. I have the 357/45 Orange but the MMP version is a different plastic ,blue and shorter. In a 50cal the normal MMP HPH blue 40/50 should work. They are a bit snug in one of mine and very tight in another. Bullet bases are really snug in this sabot too....well at least my .401 hardcast are very tight at the bottom of the bullet.

The only other sabot i know of in bulk are Harvester 50cal sabots for Boattail 45cal bullets. They are listed on their website. PR makes 40cal 44cal and 45cal Boattails so you will need to verify that also.

I would call MMP. They might have something laying around that was made for Knight boattails.

Sabots

The PR bullets I have are all 40 cal except the 195gr 357 duplex.I have 240 and 260gr extreame elites and 220gr Dead Center,all boattails.

I shot my 8 point with a 195 grn PR dead center with the orange sabot.
They shoot good.Wish I would have stuck with them,maybe I wouldn't have missed the next 4 shots.
I understand the duplex sabot will also be a good choice.
The bullet I want to try again is the PR QT's for 45 cal/250 grn.
All the other bullets I shoot leave ragged holes in the target but the QT's look like I used a hole puncher to do it.

saxman1 said:
They shoot good.Wish I would have stuck with them,maybe I wouldn't have missed the next 4 shots.
All the other bullets I shoot leave ragged holes in the target but the QT's look like I used a hole puncher to do it.

I tried a dozen in my 45. The 250 QTs shot fine in the Accura. Probably really close to as heavy as you can go without a faster twist. Loaded well in the Accura also..if they load a bit loose, softer lead (should) tighten up in the sabot when fired. I was using BH209 100gr and the CCI209Ms and keeping sub 2". I only had a dozen so no time to work up a better load.

Im going to try them with 110gr next time and Win209s.

Re: Sabots

fisher1 said:
The PR bullets I have are all 40 cal except the 195gr 357 duplex.I have 240 and 260gr extreame elites and 220gr Dead Center,all boattails.

The 220 and 240 should fit the MMP blue 40/50 ok. I have a 220gr hard cast in one now. Its covers the bearing surface with about 1/8th" to spare. If my hardcast had more of a bevel base they would be a perfect fit so the boattails will probably be fine.

GM54-120 said:
saxman1 said:

I tried a dozen in my 45. The 250 QTs shot fine in the Accura. Probably really close to as heavy as you can go without a faster twist. Loaded well in the Accura also..if they load a bit loose, softer lead (should) tighten up in the sabot when fired. I was using BH209 100gr and the CCI209Ms and keeping sub 2". I only had a dozen so no time to work up a better load.

Im going to try them with 110gr next time and Win209s.

I shot them over 90 grn BH 209 with a CCI M primer
I found they loaded very nice and grouped well even for my level of shooting.
I have some PR 300 grn BT DC's also in 50 cal I want to try.
They have a black sabot,they are botail also.

BTW those 300gr SSTs and even the 250gr SST shoot very good in both of my 50s. In the Ovation the 300gr (faster twist) is better but i have to use the low drags in that gun. Both with 100grs of BH209 is my normal sited load.

My Accura loves the 40/45 200gr SST with 90-110gr BH209 and Win209s. I got some Barnes .40 155gr TAC-XPs to try next (in the 45 sabots). A bit too light for most hunting but i got them for a fair price.

fisher1 said:
I have a bunch of PR 40cal bullets w/orange sabots.Anyone know what these might be? The bullets are boattails. I can call PR and get the info there but just wondering.Went to the range today and fired 5 Hornady SST 300gr 45cal. w/black sabots (HPH 24 or 12?) which fit noteably tighter than PRs w/orange sabots.I've never shot the Hornadys till today and boy do they shoot great in my Omega. 4 shots were inside 7/8" and a flier opened it up to 1 1/2". I used 110gr of Blackhorn w/CCI 209M.I would like to try a different sabot w/these 40cal PR bullets to try to improve their accuracy.

My bad
I re read your post.

if they have an orange tip they are most likely 195 grn dead centers,the QT's have a blue tip with a cream sabot. ,mine are 250 grn.
The PR bullets are the most accurate I have ever shot.

My 250gr QTs for 40/45 were cream/tan too. They looked like the same sabot offered by Hornady.

They seem to be the best sabot in my 45 Accura sofar with a wide range of bullets.

fisher1 i have noticed that the BOAT-TAIL bullets in ML are not as accurate as the flat bottom bullets ..tried the BARNES TMZ and the PR Dead Center both were boat-tails so i went back to the flat base bullets ..

Flat Base

black powder said:
fisher1 i have noticed that the BOAT-TAIL bullets in ML are not as accurate as the flat bottom bullets ..tried the BARNES TMZ and the PR Dead Center both were boat-tails so i went back to the flat base bullets ..That is a very good point you make here about flat vs boattail.I was sort of leaning that way,hence the reason I want to try these PR boattails I have w/a different sabot.If accuracy improoves great,if not then flat base it is.I realy like the idea of the 40cal bullets due to the higher SD and balist coeff.

Just ordered some blue MMPs and a sample of blue Crushed Ribs to try w/these 40cal PR bullets. Got some 260gr PT Golds and a sample of 40cal 200gr Scorpions from Harvester as well. Very nice people. Now for a weather break to shoot this stuff............Maine winter.

Latest posts

Back