.54 Cal Minie Balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretus

Reaction score
Hello, I received a batch of .54 cal Minie balls from S&S. They weigh about 390-392 grains. I was wanting to try them in my T/C Renegade. Has anyone ever tried these? If so, what is a decent charge of FFg powder that doesn’t blow out the skirt? What kind of results did you get? Accurate? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, I received a batch of .54 cal Minie balls from S&S. They weigh about 390-392 grains. I was wanting to try them in my T/C Renegade. Has anyone ever tried these? If so, what is a decent charge of FFg powder that doesn’t blow out the skirt? What kind of results did you get? Accurate? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Try them out with different powder /then powders and then charges , I cast conicals for all my 54s in different twists Never bothered with minies as with different lead BHN and all the above they have to many variables to mess with for accuracy ! The Accurate (I )bullet along with the Lyman Plains is all I could ask for target or killin stuff/Ed

I shoot Maxis, Minies and other heavy conical bullets in my 54 Cal Renegade. With or without skits. I use 80 grains FF volume load. Most are very accurate with that load. I can also shoot 100 grain loads accurately. For some reason, my Renegade doesn't like a 90 grain load.

For me, the 80 grain load is best. It whacks white-tail deer out to 80 yards. That's the longest shot I've ever measured. I'm sure it would go further. My advice is to load up and start shooting. See what works for you, and your rifle.

I shoot Maxis, Minies and other heavy conical bullets in my 54 Cal Renegade. With or without skits. I use 80 grains FF volume load. Most are very accurate with that load. I can also shoot 100 grain loads accurately. For some reason, my Renegade doesn't like a 90 grain load.

For me, the 80 grain load is best. It whacks white-tail deer out to 80 yards. That's the longest shot I've ever measured. I'm sure it would go further. My advice is to load up and start shooting. See what works for you, and your rifle.

I cast The eye bullet from accurate mold around 430 grain with 80 grains of Goex 3F,
With a Felt Wad over powder..
Shoots Very Accurate out of A Thompson Center Hawken 50 Caliber ..
Thanks To IdahoLewis YouTube channel this method works GREAT......

I have a range report:
Just got back from the range. I was rather impressed. The Minies performed well. I used Schuetzen FFg. CCI magnum #11 caps…The sights are currently set for a 90gr charge of Schuetzen 2F for a 230gr .535 LRB w/ .015 patch; zero at 75yds…. The targets were at 50yds using a 6 o’clock hold.The photo with the two SR-1 targets w/ four shot groups are 70gr (bottom) and 75gr (top). If you look at the top target, the pasted areas are 65gr… The second photo is with 80gr; you can see they opened up little. I eventually want yo zero them at 75yds. They could make an awesome hunting bullet.

Attachments

• 62762C19-08D3-4B46-A194-E9452AD49BB4.jpeg
    62762C19-08D3-4B46-A194-E9452AD49BB4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0D6C3A67-022C-446B-9DF8-22ACA4F54E45.jpeg
    0D6C3A67-022C-446B-9DF8-22ACA4F54E45.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • B9794453-3F64-4BCD-BBFA-505D5D78AFA0.jpeg
    B9794453-3F64-4BCD-BBFA-505D5D78AFA0.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • CE3E9A4D-DF37-4261-ABEA-A06D172033B4.jpeg
    CE3E9A4D-DF37-4261-ABEA-A06D172033B4.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I've thought about using Mine' balls for hunting but was given two warnings. They may not be as accurate as a Great Plains or REAL Bullet. Because they don't engage the rifling at loading, they may move off the charge while walking through the woods.

I wasn't too concerned about accuracy being affected. I just wanted something that would be easier to load if I needed a second shot. As far as moving off the charge, one could always use a wad to keep it in place.

Walt

I hunted with minies for years. Never had one move.
But then again, I wasn't swinging the rifle like a baton.
Potentially, any conical can move, regardless of rifling engagement. Lube is very useful, keeping things in place. Lead is a dead metal, ie; no spring back like copper/ brass when compressed. Also, if you have an uneven bore surface, they can move. It's prudent to drop a rammer now and then. Just to check.
Wads and minies... not really a good idea. They'll get forced up the skirt on firing, and if it goes along for the ride you'll have flyers.

I hunted with minies for years. Never had one move.
But then again, I wasn't swinging the rifle like a baton.
Potentially, any conical can move, regardless of rifling engagement. Lube is very useful, keeping things in place. Lead is a dead metal, ie; no spring back like copper/ brass when compressed. Also, if you have an uneven bore surface, they can move. It's prudent to drop a rammer now and then. Just to check.
Wads and minies... not really a good idea. They'll get forced up the skirt on firing, and if it goes along for the ride you'll have flyers.
Thanks for the info!

I was referring to a wad OVER the bullet to keep it in place. Similar to the cartridge paper used in smoothbore Muskets when they were popular.

Walt

I've thought about using Mine' balls for hunting but was given two warnings. They may not be as accurate as a Great Plains or REAL Bullet. Because they don't engage the rifling at loading, they may move off the charge while walking through the woods.

I wasn't too concerned about accuracy being affected. I just wanted something that would be easier to load if I needed a second shot. As far as moving off the charge, one could always use a wad to keep it in place.

Walt
I've seen you shoot ,one should suffice/Ed

I have have not shot minnies in over 40 years. A .54 you say, try 55 gr n 60 gr, don't worry about velocity. Just go for accuracy, with that peep you should do well. The weight of minnies n conicals will gob smack most anything out to 75 yards from a .54

Back