.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
Might as well strike while the iron’s Hot :D This Green Mountain LRH .54 Cal (1:28 Twist) Barrel Was BY FAR The hardest thing for me to Find in this Hobby, I spent About 3 years searching DAILY for this Barrel, It Started to feel like a Ghost hunt, Then 1 night there it was on Gunbroker, It Came from an Estate sale, Brand new unfired in it’s Box. I don’t know 1 other person that actually has 1 of these .54 Cal LRH Barrels? Green Mountain made very few of them.

This Barrel Shoots AMAZING if you can hang in there and do your part! First up was my Bullshop “Clone” Bullet (525 Grains) And Second Group was my Lyman Plains .54

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xqkUn1xJAPA" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I too cringe :affraid: at that thought of pulling the trigger on those behemoth :face: projectiles you launch out of your smokers.    
Did you resize those bullets for that .54 :?:

Marty said:
I too cringe :affraid: at that thought of pulling the trigger on those behemoth :face: projectiles you launch out of your smokers.    
Did you resize those bullets for that .54 :?:

Marty,  Yes i do resize for my 54s as well, to “Bore Ride” for Target shooting, The bore in this .54 LRH is .541, The bullets i shot in the Video above were Sized to .540, And for Hunting i would Size to .542

Exactly the same as i do for .50 Cal, Just Different Numbers with .54 :D  I do the Same for .36, .40, and 45 Cal. No need to Shove on Hunting Bullets when Target/Bench Shooting, Tip I learned from Lee Shaver’s, Size the bullet til it just “Kisses” the Bore/Riflings on the Way down. Lee has Won 2 World Championships, He Competes to 1,000 yards in BPCR (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle) When he Speaks Tips, I listen Closely :ttups: I asked him, “if you could give me 1 piece of advice, and only 1, What would be the most important single piece of Advice you could Give?” Lee Immediately said BULLET BASES, Pay Extremely close attention to your Bullet Bases, Except Nothing but perfect, Sharp Bullet Bases, anything else should go back in the Lead pot. I plan to do a Subject on Bullet Casting Soon, Video and all. Show how i get Perfect Bullets, What to look for with Bases :ttups:

You should put the camera on your shooting and show the target at the end.

OldMtnMan said:
You should put the camera on your shooting and show the target at the end.
I will do it next time i shoot 1 of my 54s with Big Heavy bullets :ttups: i would like to see myself getting Rocked from the Recoil as well :shock:  I can sit down and Deal with it Now n then, But I don’t like a Steady diet of the Big Bores, To easy to create a Bad Habit (Flinching) Anybody that Claims they Can Tolerate Elephant Gun Recoil Day n and Day out, More power to em, they can have my Share as well! I would love to Sit down and Bench Rest Shoot Against ANY of them!! My “Macho Man Days” are Long over. A PRB in .54-.58 Would be the way to Go, They are a pleasure to Shoot, and Toss a Good sized ball :ttups: This little .45 CVA Mountain Rifle (Roundball gun) is sure a Lot of Fun To Shoot!! My Dad and i Just talked about Shooting PRB in our Stock .54s the Next time we Shoot together.

That's why I stick to a .54 roundball. More controllable recoil and can still take an elk.

Conicals are for the youngsters. :D

OldMtnMan said:
That's why I stick to a .54 roundball. More controllable recoil and can still take an elk.

Conicals are for the youngsters. :D
No arguments from me :ttups: PRB Has been Killing Elk for Eons, It boils down to You Men that Shoot them, Understanding their Capabilities/limitations. An Elk won’t be any Deader with a 500 Grain Bullet Going Through it’s Living Room, Than a Round Ball Going Through it, Key is getting the Projectile of Choice in the Living Room, and OWNING it!

Back