.50 Cal .495 Patched Roundball Chrono Data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I put 4 Shots over the Chronograph this morning, Same Exact load i just recently shot to 600 Yards

My Rifle, Chronograph, and Target 55 Yards out

cTKLyIcm.jpg

2mct0nWm.jpg

TFWQiF1m.jpg

30ihd0tm.jpg

x9hC4pJm.jpg

The extreme Spread was only 11 Fps, Hard to beat that. Since Accuracy is my #1 Goal in this Stuff, This is Good Proof why i feel it’s Well worth my Time to WEIGH my Charges in Grain WEIGHT to the 1/10th of a Grain on a Good Trusted Reloading Scale, I Have a Nice Volume Measure, But i never use it, Unless its to do a Quick Check of Volume to Weight in Grains with a “New to me Powder”
Fkl1Rvmm.jpg

I Then Shot a 3 Shot Group Test with a New Patch/Ball Combo (.495 Ball, .019 Compressed in my Calipers, Pocket Drill from Joann Fabric) Lubed with my Bear Fat/Beeswax/Lanolin Mixture, And a Patch for an Over powder Wad
WOmtDY4m.jpg

A few of the Patches I collected, They look Great
:bl th up

btYUX0Cm.jpg

I put 4 Shots over the Chronograph this morning, Same Exact load i just recently shot to 600 Yards

My Rifle, Chronograph, and Target 55 Yards out

cTKLyIcm.jpg

2mct0nWm.jpg

TFWQiF1m.jpg

30ihd0tm.jpg

x9hC4pJm.jpg

The extreme Spread was only 11 Fps, Hard to beat that. Since Accuracy is my #1 Goal in this Stuff, This is Good Proof why i feel it’s Well worth my Time to WEIGH my Charges in Grain WEIGHT to the 1/10th of a Grain on a Good Trusted Reloading Scale, I Have a Nice Volume Measure, But i never use it, Unless its to do a Quick Check of Volume to Weight in Grains with a “New to me Powder”
Fkl1Rvmm.jpg

I Then Shot a 3 Shot Group Test with a New Patch/Ball Combo (.495 Ball, .019 Compressed in my Calipers, Pocket Drill from Joann Fabric) Lubed with my Bear Fat/Beeswax/Lanolin Mixture, And a Patch for an Over powder Wad
WOmtDY4m.jpg

A few of the Patches I collected, They look Great
:bl th up

btYUX0Cm.jpg
Hey Lewis, how much volume of powder and can you explain your patching method a little more? I'm getting basically the same results at 50 yards, just curious.

Hey Lewis, how much volume of powder and can you explain your patching method a little more? I'm getting basically the same results at 50 yards, just curious.

James, I pre Weigh my Charges on a Scale in Weight Grains, then place the Charges in Vials. I have Tested Volume to Weight Grains Many Times With Swiss Real Blackpowder and it Comes out nearly Identical, So to Answer that part of your Question, it would be 80 Volume.

I prefer the Precision of a Trusted Scale in Weight Grains over a Volume Measure, I have from my Very Beginning in Muzzleloading, I suppose that comes from 30 PLUS Years of Handloading Precision Centerfire ;)

I use 2 Patches per Shot, 1 as an Over Powder Wad, I center it over the Muzzle and Get it Started with my Short Starter, Then Push it down on the Powder, Next is the Patch/Ball :lewis:

And it saves powder from being dropped on the ground while pouring from canister to powder measure. On premium grade powder I try to use it as efficiently as I can.

Lewis
You use felt was with bullets, they would probably work good with patched ball too.
Do you buy wad material from Durofelt?
How are they to do business with?
I have the punches I need but never have ordered any felt to make my own wads.

I have had nothing but good experience with Duro Felt. Fast service, and knowledgeable. The owner is a shooter! I have found a lubed over-powder wad under a patched round ball with heavy charges to reduce my extreme spread to under 20 fps (not quite the 11 reported above!!!)

ADK Bigfoot

Lewis
You use felt was with bullets, they would probably work good with patched ball too.
Do you buy wad material from Durofelt?
How are they to do business with?
I have the punches I need but never have ordered any felt to make my own wads.

I do buy from Durofelt, They are Great to deal with :lewis: I get their 1/8” Hard Wool Felt, it even says for “Wads”

Latest posts

Back