.458 Bullets and Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
If you guys use the .458 bullets whats your favorite combo ?  Yesterday I shot Hornady 350 gr roundnose I tried the mmp 3 petal tight and the standard orange ( didn't group) finally fell back on the old reliable black crush rib and got the final group of the day at under 1 3/4 at 100 yds but even this was tight, not spill your guts out tight but tighter than I like and the cups on the fired sabots were the most stressed out I have seen.  I was firing 95 gr by volume of BH 209in my Rossi which has what I believe based on knurling bullets to be a 503 bore.  Temps started at around 65 degrees and were around 80 degrees at the end which was a real pain .

If you do use the orange sabots do you regularly lose petals upon firing  I've tried them twice in 2 different rifles one tight bored and this Rossi and lost petals neither rifle grouped well with these sabots.

Clyde, I shoot a lot of 458 bullets. As for my favorite it depends on the gun. I don't have a 50 anymore but the Hornady Monoflex 458/250 shot lights out in my CVA Apex & Optima. I shoot a heavier charge in my 52 cal & I'm using a CEB 458/265 but will be switching to Keith's 302 Bomb.

Whe I shot 50's all I ever shot was the orange sabots & they ALWAYS SHED the petals. There's too much unnecessary hype put on this. If your gun shoots well, who cares?
You may need to play with your powder charge to get better groups.

Some others that shot well were Hornady 458/325 FTX
Barnes offers the SOCOM. Hope this helps.

Greg

In my .502 Vortek LDR I have used the Orange MMP with the Hornady 325 grain FTX. They shot great and I never bothered to look for petals. You could try the knight blue sabots as I have found those to help with tight fitting .452 bullets.

i have a cva v2 optima, i think thats what it is called. it is the handgun type. i took some 200 grain lead 451 bullets and swaged them to .458 size with a short round nose. the nose looks like half of a round ball, that short. i put them in the orange mmp sabots and man are they accurate. fast and accurate, easy to load and keeps the recoil down on that gun. going to stick with that bullet and sabot as it shoots so good.

Back