450 bushmaster reloading issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is some of your Hornady brass from the Hornady Black? I have been told the Hornady Black is made using military grade powder and primers at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. I believe there is an issue with the primer pocket because of the military grade primer. I have not been able to confirm this info so take it for what it's worth. If all of your brass is from the non Hornady Black then disregard.

I don't shoot my 450 much but, I use the Hornady 4 die set to reload for my custom bolt. I have around 400 reloads, with some being loaded multiple times. I've never had the issues you're describing.
Out of curiosity, I just checked the case length of my reloads. All are 1.7000".
Are you lubing all cases? Just asking............

They are once fired factory hornady ftx brass. I’m only loading to get hornady factory fps. That way if I ever want to use factory ammo I can switch back.
I did that too. I reloaded a few boxes of the 245gr SP InterLocks to 2200ish. They were good but i was sitting on so many Deep Curl and XTPs that i started loading up those. They shoot almost as well for me, to 200 yards, as the factory WhiteTail ammo. All my brass is also Hornady, but i never bought once fired brass, all mine went thru my gun. Maybe that is your issue, brass went thru an out of spec chamber? You might just try running your bad ones thru a full length sizer a couple times and recheck.

I don't shoot my 450 much but, I use the Hornady 4 die set to reload for my custom bolt. I have around 400 reloads, with some being loaded multiple times. I've never had the issues you're describing.
Out of curiosity, I just checked the case length of my reloads. All are 1.7000".
Are you lubing all cases? Just asking............
Yes I love all the cases with hornady 1 shot. Some of the cases fall right in the ammo checker beautiful and some stop short. I wipe them off and resize and same thing.

I did that too. I reloaded a few boxes of the 245gr SP InterLocks to 2200ish. They were good but i was sitting on so many Deep Curl and XTPs that i started loading up those. They shoot almost as well for me, to 200 yards, as the factory WhiteTail ammo. All my brass is also Hornady, but i never bought once fired brass, all mine went thru my gun. Maybe that is your issue, brass went thru an out of spec chamber? You might just try running your bad ones thru a full length sizer a couple times and recheck.
Thank you I did try that and it didn’t work. They were out of my rifle also. I was able to talk to hornady and the guy sent a shipping label and said send in the die and some of my brass. He said if he can’t fix it he will send me a new die.

These are my reloads that I tried and got the group with. Fury 255gr and lilgun. They group amazing.

Attachments

• 4E976551-CDCB-4D20-8089-39EF01682328.jpeg
    4E976551-CDCB-4D20-8089-39EF01682328.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
They don’t fit in the ammo checker but what happens if you try to chamber them in your rifle, same thing?
The brass and or loaded ammo that wouldn’t fit the ammo checker I tried to load in the rifle and the bolt wouldn’t close and then I couldn’t get it to come back with out hitting it with my palm.

I had an issue with hornday dies (bent decaping spindle). They sent 2 spindles and apologized for the inconvenience. They have my vote for customer service.

Back