40-290S Mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I saw this bullet mentioned on another thread but didn't want to go off topic. A fellow member sent me a few and it seems they would make a beautiful long range bullet. Another member even commented on the higher BC. Beautiful for any range really. My question is, has anyone had experience shooting game (deer) with these. Wondering if they pencil through or get some expansion?

IMG_2817.JPGScreenshot 2023-02-09 at 07-34-17 Bullet Design Catalog Accurate Molds.png

I also don't know but i will see in the coming months when i get my kit n bbl. in to build. I have 20 of them to try in mine. I have not weighed them so i don't know if i have same as you

I also don't know but i will see in the coming months when i get my kit n bbl. in to build. I have 20 of them to try in mine. I have not weighed them so i don't know if i have same as you
Alloy is the only variation/and casting ability . I can get30+ in one session identical weight wise along with close on another 2 groups/Ed

I have been after Tom to ad a gas check to that very mold for a long long time, it seam's
never seen the discussion on it but thought it would be a winner
my plans are to cast a few, gas check them, then powder coat them
should be the cat's meow

I saw this bullet mentioned on another thread but didn't want to go off topic. A fellow member sent me a few and it seems they would make a beautiful long range bullet. Another member even commented on the higher BC. Beautiful for any range really. My question is, has anyone had experience shooting game (deer) with these. Wondering if they pencil through or get some expansion?

View attachment 31051View attachment 31052
I sure do like that bullet.

That looks like it will shoot outta my 45 cal Paramount with the crappy barrel. What company makes/sells the mold?
Thats not a bad idea at all bro. That bullet ( knurled up if need be ) in the LBCR should shoot pretty decent in your Paramount instead of continuing to deal with trying to use bore riders in an inconsistent bore. Turning your gun into a 300-400yd MOA or better gun just by using the right bullet in the right sabot is very possible. I wish that I'd have thought to tell ya to bring your Paramount with you to Fl this yr to shoot them together here.

View attachment 31051View attachment 31052
there is a lot that goes into the performance of lead boolits
as mentioned alloy composition and velocity are factors
the meplat also has and effect of performance
I suspect from a mostly pure to a binary alloy of 20-1,25-1 would expand quite favorably this again leaves the velocity at target the only outlier
being it is shot in a sabot I think the softer alloys will work quite well
another method to induce expansion is to hollow point the mold as many do when you can't rely on meplat alone to induce trauma
BHN does not necessarily equate to good expansion all that tells you is how hard the boolit is composition of alloy has more of an effect on expansion

Ya wants yer boolit to be ductile (pliable, not brittle) and malleable (able to be reshaped without breaking or cracking. So it hits deer meat or rib bones and mushrooms without shattering into unhealthy pieces. I want it to go out the muzzle at 290 grains and out the off side of a deer at nearly double diameter at 290 grains retaining 100% of its weight.Easy to want, not so easy to get. Practice, Practice Practice!

Back