25 ACP Conversion?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilli53

Reaction score
Anyone tried this on their Omega. I was doing some surfing and ran across it at bpbullets.com . Scroll down and look to the left , click on improving the Thompson Center Omega , Encore . Is this better than the new Winchester 777 primer.

Keep your 209 primers and just dump all your 777 powder, and get APP/Shockeys Gold/Goex Pinnacle in the 3Fg granulation! :wink:

Use it just like pyrodex grain for grain. And say good bye to crud ring, frozen breech plugs, and spit patching-short stroking-stuck ramrods forever :D 8)

Or you can stand on your head, jump thru flamming hoops, pay for expensive conversions/alterations add nauseum :shock: :roll: Till you finally MAKE 777 powder work right for ya :shock: :oops: :cry:

But don't make me tell ya how I really feel about the subject :evil:

Keep your 209 primers and just dump all your 777 powder, and get APP/Shockeys Gold/Goex Pinnacle in the 3Fg granulation!

You like it THAT much? I have the ffg Shockeys Gold...I don't care for it at ALL. Velocities are WAY down from ffg Triple Se7en. Maybe I need to give it another shot...pun intended! :lol:

If ya think velocity is down, just add some more till the chrony gives ya what ya want. There is alot of room to move with this powder. And it works best when firmly compressed.

209 adapters

Getting back to the primers Twilli53 I have the 209 adapters that they sell and like them very much , in fact they work just like the new 777 primers that winchester just bought out , there is no blowback with them . I use them with both my Encore 209x45 and my 209x50 Omega , with both guns I get ragged holes at 100 years from the bench . There is nothing wrong with 777 use with both guns.
Sundowner

Pb conversion plug

I have used the 22 hornet plub for 3 years and like it. I started with a Encore .45 and felt it helped my groups. I am now shooting a Encore .50
and accuracy at 200 yards is under 2 1/2 inches.

If you buy the breech plug conversion and are a HANDLOADER go with
the 22 hornet. If you use the 25 ACP conversion the new brass varies considerably in over-all length that you will have to measure it and SORT
for consistant length.

Some have reported variances of .003 to.008 in length for the new 25 ACP brass where as if you cut the hornet brass yourself you can trim to .001 which is what I do.

Cutting the 22 hornet cases down is a pain and then they have to be trimmed to size in a trimming tool. I did 200 cases with 100 to use and 100 cases for back-up. They are so much easier to handle than the tiny
209 primer.

I have the .25ACP conversion on my Omega and love it. I like it so much I bought a similar one for the NEF Huntsman that I have. I disagree with the recommendation to go with the hornet conversion. If you have to trim and resize the brass with the hornet why not just length size the .25 brass if that is a big problem. Personally I did not find the .25 brass that much of a problem for length. I check them and sort out any that are way out of spec but the rest work just fine as purchased. I have about 500 once fired .25s that all seem to work fine so far. It is a lot easier handling the primed .25 brass rather than the small 209 primers when you have cold hands and are in a hurry. I also agree with the problems with 777. Even with the .25ACP conversion 777 still leaves a big crud ring in my Stainless Omega .50. I mainly use Black Mag'3 which seems to be made for the Omega and .300gr. bullets in Harvester sabots.

I use the Flame Thrower adapters and they work very well, no blow back and good accuracy minus the 777 crud ring. If you use the Flame Throwers you don't need to buy a new breach plug, you also don't need any reloading tools when you buy the Flame thrower kit. You can use regular or magnum small rifle primers. You only get 10 adapters with the kit so it is a good idea to ordef extras with it. They load in my Omega very easily an I have fired as many as 30 shots and the adapters still come out very easily with your fingers.
The new 209 Winchester 777 primers give me very close to the same performance without having to do anything except pay there fairly high price ( Walmart has them for around $4.69/100.

Where can a guy buy Flame Thrower Adapters?
I have used the 25 ACP conversion and still had blowback, so I am curious how this will work.

My question is Why would you want to go to a milder primer?? A fed 209A is the hottest primer out there, and that is what I prefer to use.

The theory for the milder primer is that the hot primers like the 209 standard primer create more power than is necessary to cause correct combustion and may move the powder charge up the barrel before the combustion occurs causing a ring to form above the powder column (which in the case of Tripple Seven Powder is referred to as the "crud ring"). A milder primer will cure this condition in many rifles. If the standard 209 primers work for you then that is great. They do not work well for everyone and some even see accuracy improvements going to the rifle primers and lower power 209 style primers.

Cabelas carry the Veri Flame adapters. The kit with 10 primer holders is $22.99 and extra primer holders are $13.99 per 10.

Back