.243 Factory Hunting Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich M

Reaction score
Anyone on here shoot the modest .243?

I have recently acquired a Rem 700 ADL and want to put it to the test on a Montana mule deer this coming November. Once I get a Leupold VX-II, I need to get shooting at a 300 yard range.

'been hearing good things about the 85 gr Barnes TX, the 85 gr BTHP by Sierra, the 100 gr SPBT by Sierra, and the 100 gr NP. Federal and Hornady load some or all of these loads.

The ballistics & numbers look good out to 400 yards on the 100 gr SPBT loads. The Barnes is supposed to be amazing in accuracy. The 85 gr BTHP is supposed to be a deer dropper. The NP is just plain a proven bullet but has the worst ballistic numbers.

Anyone have actual field experience with any of them? I shot cheapo 100 gr Federals out of my Browning but haven't gotten any of the dinky FL deer with it yet.

The average shot is from 100 to 300 yards.

Although someone will say different I would not hunt Mulies w/ a 243. I personally do not beleive they are lethal enough for these animals. I would move up to a 3006 , 270 type gun. They are good for the small whitetails and have killed many but Mulies are different sized animal. Have fun, hunt safe. Just my 02 on it.

I plan on reloading for my 243 this year with the 95 gr. Nosler Partitions but haven't taken anything yet obviously.

I did take a buck last season with my 243 and plain old Remington Core Lokts - broadside shot shattered a rib and passed through the heart - dead within 20 yds with 100% energy transfer. Mulies are a lot bigger than our VA deer but with proper shot placement there's nothing wrong with a 243.

Proper shot placement and a good quality bullet is what you want. 300 yds might be just a little too much for a 243 on a big mulie. I always thought that it was a little small until I took a big whitetail buck at 170 yds. Dropped him in his tracks and he measure 180. My opinion has changed but again shot placement is the key.

I'm not questioning the .243 for killing ability. It is a proven caliber and will do the job just fine.

The outfitter has a still deer only policy - I guess due to a lot of poor marksmanship issues on the hunters' parts. Sure, you get excited, but to shoot with the scope bouncing all over the place - NO. :nono:

My purpose in asking the question is an attempt to narrow down the range of bullets I need to test-fire and shoot - I want MOA or less at 300 yards. It will likely be the Barnes X but the ballistics of the other bullets are very promising.

Latest posts

Back