209 Primer Dimensions. L & W

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Not sure if it has be done or on here. Was at reloading bench and thought it was a good idea.
Measurements were taking with a Mitutoyo caliper and Starrett micrometer. A sample of three primers of each to confirm dimensions.
Width was taken closest to the flange.
OAL. DIA.
CCI 209MG .2980 .242

CHEDDITE 209 .2915 .2430

FEDERAL 209A .2970 .2410. Red box
.2985 .2410. Blue box

NSI- NOBEL 209-688 .300 .2445

RIO 209-G. .2960 .2450

WINCH W209. .3040 .244

REM 209STS .2920 .2410
Lot’s of variance found. Up to. .2430

Happy New Year Friends,

Greg

Last edited:
..........Was at reloading bench and thought it was a good idea.
Measurements were taking with a Mitutoyo caliper and Starrett micrometer. A sample of three primers of each to confirm dimensions...........

Greg,

Them are some fine instruments you are using. Yes indeed, in my opinion it is a good idea.

Please allow me to share my measurements mainly to add to the body of knowledge. Here, there are only three different primers used, which keeps things kinda simple. First, it should be mentioned, far far more than three primers of each have been measured. Probably hundreds of STS, and 209A primers have been measured mostly for length. Hundreds, and hundreds of the W209 primers have been measured.

Your length measurement for the Federal 209A kinda agree with mine, as an average.

Lengthwise, the STS primers seem to be the most consistent; they almost every single one of them measure 0.294".

W209 primers vary the most of any primers ever measured. They measure anywhere between 0.298" to 0.304". It seems odd your average came to 0.304", but only measuring three of them explains.

Keep up the good work. Thank you for your data.

I just knew it’s been done by someone.
Great information.Is this info a “sticky” .
Should be IMHO.
Thanks Sabotloader , Busta and Ron for replying / posting.
You guys make this forum what it is.

It is a sticky, but Photobucket and Tiny Pic are holding some of the old pics hostage, They have either watermarked or blurred the pics, or blocked the links.

I just went and took my own pictures back a few months ago. I refuse to pay them a penny. They are the ones that broke the original agreement, and now they have millions, probably billions of pics held hostage. Nope, ain't playin'!

If you look up to the top of this page, you will find it in the Stickies. Maybe a moderator will put the images back in the original post?

Latest posts

Back