Best ML for Oregon?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonelkhunter

Reaction score
As many of you know, Oregon has some of the most restrictive regulations for muzzleloader hunting in the nation. That said, I think I would like to try, possibly for pronghorn hunting.

I would like your recommendations for which ML would be best.
Also, I have a friend who wants to sell me a T/C Renegrade. .54cal. for a very good price. Would this be a good choice or should I just spend the money for a newer model?

Here are the Oregon regs:
Muzzleloader? is any single barreled long gun meant to be fired from the shoulder and loaded from the muzzle with an open ignition system and open or peep sights and includes: open ignition in-line percussion; sidelock, under-hammer, top-hammer and mule ear percussion; sidelock flintlock and wheelock ignition systems. Matchlock ignition systems are not allowed.
?Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.?

So, no scopes, sabots, centerfire primers, etc.

Thanks, in advance, OEH.

There are inline rifles that match your needs. Get a White Rifle in .451 or .504 and shoot large conicals at them. We have members that shoot a Lyman Peep sight on them and shoot out to 200 yards with them big conicals.

Whites are hard to find and normally cost a little more then most people like, but they are out there. Its just getting their owners to part with them. White is out of business, but the rifles are built like tanks.

What Dave said. You will not find a better conical shooter than a White Rifle. Like he said the only problem is finding one.

Another option would be a Knight Mk-85. There are a bunch of them available on Gunbroker and they shoot conicals pretty good.

I shot several elk with a White,nothing is better for shooting conicals, 200 yards with a peep and very old eye's is easy to do. 460 conicals and an elk rifle for sure. Probably needs to be 50 cal.for elk.
RC

Redclub said:
I shot several elk with a White,nothing is better for shooting conicals, 200 yards with a peep and very old eye's is easy to do. 460 conicals and an elk rifle for sure. Probably needs to be 50 cal.for elk.
RC

Use MAP fer clean-up. 8)

oregonelkhunter

If you can find one - get a white...

Then in no particular order...

Knight Bighorn
TC Black Diamond XR
Remington 700ML

And yes the Rene 54 would work very well.

Winchester X-150 with the #11 or musket cap breech plug. 385 - 410gr hornady great plains conical. Mine was a sweet shooter.

With those laws a 54 cal long barrel Hawken rifle with round ball or a good conical rifle like the White in a 45 cal. Lee

With those regulations working against you, I'd recommend a TC Hawken in 54 caliber. Try tripple seven 2F, Hornady great plains bullets with a felt wad over powder. I can get 1673 fps out fo mine with 120 grains of tripple seven 2f and the Horanday 390 gr great plains bullet. This load will drive tacks in my rifle.

Back