17 HMR range results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
This afternoon I was able to get to the range to try this new rifle out. It was a little cool and a bit of a breeze but not too bad. I like the way the rifle shoots but not thrilled with the scope. When I bought the rifle I decided to get a scope that was stainless as well. Didn't want to spend too much so the only thing I could find was a Tasco in 3 - 9. I had the rifle bore sighted at the gun shop but couldn't hit paper at 100 yds so tried 25. I was on paper but 3 inches high and 3 to the left. Made the necessary adjustment and no where on paper. That's when I found out the Tasco is completely backwards from any scope I've ever owned :mad:. Finally got that figured out and finally got it to hit the bull at 25. Moved out to a 100 and it shot high. A few more adjustments and I was in the bulleye. I grouped all my shots in the bull and inside 1". So was pleased. I tried shooting off the bi pod and it didn't group as well but I thing that was me ;). Bi pods are new to me so I'll need a little work. As I said the rifle shoots great. If the weather cooperates I might just get out this weekend and see if I can spoil a few gophers day. :D

scopes

I'm not smart enough to remember which way the adjustments work, so I just set up at 20 yards or so, take a shot, clamp the rifle down, and adjust the crosshairs to intersect with the bullet hole. Works DANG good, and uses a lot less ammo!

Re: scopes

lewistt said:
I'm not smart enough to remember which way the adjustments work, so I just set up at 20 yards or so, take a shot, clamp the rifle down, and adjust the crosshairs to intersect with the bullet hole. Works DANG good, and uses a lot less ammo!

That's a good way to do it and works great but nearly as much fun as actually shooting :wink:

My friend was at the range to re-zero is 7mm REM MAG. He also has a tasco on it. It's weird too. Most scope are 4 clicks to the inch. Not his. 2 clicks to the inch ::). Makes it harder to be precise.
Any way here's a picture of the target I shot yesterday. You'll notice holes all over the paper. That's from trying to figure out which way to turn the dials. Finally got it zeroed and the 5 shots in the bull were one group shot from my rest and bag. The 5 under the bull were shot from the bi-pod.
The diameter of the bull is 7/8 "

File0062.jpg

Back