Malcolm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished mounting a malcolm scope on my T/C Hawken "Tick Licker". William Malcolm first offered these in 1855, so it is possible an original hawken used one. Cataract's have diminished my vision such that i've had difficulty lately using my peep sight. This should take care of that!
View attachment 43552
Looks like a real deer slayer!

i've shot the rifle a bit now & have shot some great groups.. i just need a flash cup to keep the cap residue off of the mounts & bottom of the scope.. i've been using rws 1075 plus caps for quite some time.. seems like i get a lot of flash outside of the nipple,,, Powder valley has the plain 1075 caps.. guess i'll give those a try & see how well they work.

Nice set up!

Old fingers like musket caps, I have converted most of my nipples to musket.

And the carton was at .06 cents per cap.

Shooting here at the house, (45cal hawken) i've been using an old bedside table as a bench for shooting off my bullsbag. It seems to group better without my past shoulder pad,, but hurts a bit, not being able to shoulder it properly as i would like. This is with 500 grain bullets & 70grains 2f powder,,,, i'm going back to the pad, grouping or not! ;>)

Attachments

• 45calbruise.JPG
    45calbruise.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 0
Shooting here at the house, (45cal hawken) i've been using an old bedside table as a bench for shooting off my bullsbag. It seems to group better without my past shoulder pad,, but hurts a bit, not being able to shoulder it properly as i would like. This is with 500 grain bullets & 70grains 2f powder,,,, i'm going back to the pad, grouping or not! ;>)
this was 30 shots

Hows the shoulder feeling? Wondering what your rifle cleaning steps are with the scope? I had a similar scope on a Remington Rolling Block but it was easy to clean, Just drop open the breech block and run patches.

Hows the shoulder feeling? Wondering what your rifle cleaning steps are with the scope? I had a similar scope on a Remington Rolling Block but it was easy to clean, Just drop open the breech block and run patches.
i just slide scope and mounts off the base blocks together & clean it normally.. it hold zero nicely.

re the shoulder,, the sore one was where the top point of the brass butt plate hit me hard,, kind of like a stone bruise. i wasn't holding it real tight that shot. so it was not a normal kick.. they feel ok now (still livid). i put the leather cover back on & it's very comfortable to shoot.

Latest posts

Back