Working With Lehigh Bare Primer Conversions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
First let me say that I have been reading the many posts on improving headspace in Knight rifles using the Lehigh Bare Primer conversions. I have a total of three Knights that I want to enhance for use with the bare primer conversions and BH209... Grouse has graciously helped with with a conversion for my grandson and I am proceeding to set each rifle up...I have ordered the .241 shims to determine the correct measurements for the .248 shims to obtain the correct primer crush...I am going in this direction instead of having the Bestill plug custom fit, because, frankly I am on social security and cannot fund three such conversions even as desirable as they are... so, if you will, I could use your expertise to help me with the process

1. What is the best primer that I should use to set them up for... we will be firing the rifles in temps ranging from 90- 10F...
2. What is the target amount of crush for the primers when the shims are correctly seated?
3. What is the best grade of steel suited for the shim installation...McMaster-Carr lists 3 options: 316Stainless, 18-8 Stainless or spring steel
4. All of the breech plugs that I have have the removeable ventliners from Lehigh...what should the ideal range for diameters be for:
a. flashhole(next to powder charge)
b. flash channel (next to primer)

My hope is to have the initial work completed so that I can have my grandson and son-in-law shooting with me during the upcoming holidays...I know that I have time, but I want to use it wisely and hopefully get it done the first time...

Thanks in advance for your help.. it is greatly appreciated...

Kindest regards,

themoose

Blackhorn powder use federal209a
Other powder Winchester209

Crush.003-.005

Shims .248 spring steel stay very well

Flash hole.025 to .035 work great after.040 replace liner

Flame channel.156

Before i used any shims, i would see how a Winchester primer is in your gun. Some work out really good with no shims at all. But some dont as well.

Thanks so much... I do plan on checking primers before shimming anything... I really do appreciate your expertise,,,

themoose said:
First let me say that I have been reading the many posts on improving headspace in Knight rifles using the Lehigh Bare Primer conversions. I have a total of three Knights that I want to enhance for use with the bare primer conversions and BH209... Grouse has graciously helped with with a conversion for my grandson and I am proceeding to set each rifle up...I have ordered the .241 shims to determine the correct measurements for the .248 shims to obtain the correct primer crush...I am going in this direction instead of having the Bestill plug custom fit, because, frankly I am on social security and cannot fund three such conversions even as desirable as they are... so, if you will, I could use your expertise to help me with the process

1. What is the best primer that I should use to set them up for... we will be firing the rifles in temps ranging from 90- 10F...
2. What is the target amount of crush for the primers when the shims are correctly seated?
3. What is the best grade of steel suited for the shim installation...McMaster-Carr lists 3 options: 316Stainless, 18-8 Stainless or spring steel
4. All of the breech plugs that I have have the removeable ventliners from Lehigh...what should the ideal range for diameters be for:
a. flashhole(next to powder charge)
b. flash channel (next to primer)

My hope is to have the initial work completed so that I can have my grandson and son-in-law shooting with me during the upcoming holidays...I know that I have time, but I want to use it wisely and hopefully get it done the first time...

Thanks in advance for your help.. it is greatly appreciated...

Kindest regards,

themoose

You are definitely going the right direction... I am assuming you have read the post at the top of this forum. I have not yet found a good reason to shoot a mag primer even with BH - in the normal hunting application.

I have 3 that did not need any shimming with the W209, and have zero blowback. Guess I just got lucky. I do have one that needed 1 shim.

Use a good caliper. As Bestill said .003-.005 is the goal. I like .005 myself.

Use a spent primer to hammer them in.

in my experience, the shims will get shot out so I'd call them a temporary solution. You'll know to replace them when the blowback shows up. It is a pretty good system overall.

bestill said:

Crush.003-.005

Flame channel.156

This should be a sticky. However, I like Win 209s for all powders including BH. Is there a known advantage to the Federals of which I'm unaware?

LarryBud said:
bestill said:

Crush.003-.005

Flame channel.156

This should be a sticky. However, I like Win 209s for all powders including BH. Is there a known advantage to the Federals of which I'm unaware?

Only thing i know is federal209a is proven to be the hottest primer and i want powder to ignite with all the fire possible. I know many say its not necessary and i mostly agree but i say why not. Yes it does erode flash hole faster but a breech plug is one of the cheapest things any hunter will purchase. And for me flash hole wear doesn't matter with tungsten carbide bushing flash hole.

Latest posts

Back