White .451 and sabots, range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After I got back from my Nebraska bowhunt this morning ( unsuccessful for now) I decided it was time to sight in a gun with a one power scope since the rules now allow them during muzzy season.
I had put the scope on a Knight but decided that i wanted to try it on a White . (These are all tough decisions):D.
So I put it on a .451 Super 91. ( Bob Bowers special)
I also decided to try a saboted bullet instead of the bone jarring 460 gr conical.
My beginning load and what turned out to be the only load used today was 90 gr 3f triple 7, 230 gr bullet in light blue harvester crush rib sabot. winchester #11 cap and the Nikon one power scope.

I set up the targets :

target.jpg

I wasn't sure where it would hit so I started close, only 40 yards.
it hit about a foot low and 3 inches to the right. I made some scope adjustments then took two more shots. here they are:

003-4.jpg

Now I decided to move back a little and fine tune some.here are the results at 75 yards.
004-3.jpg

Not sure what the deal is with the low one, but that happens

next I shot some 100 yards targets.

one shot each , as if it was a deer.

005-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

then I shot a few groups. like this
007.jpg

Overall the Super 91 seemed to like the 90 gr and the bullet. I didn't experiment so it might do better given a chance.
The reticle of the scope is thick enough that at 100 yards it covers quite a bit of the target is the only problem i saw

I collected some sabots on the walk to check the target

010.jpg

When I went to clean her up I noticed that i need to put a bra on my scope.

008-1.jpg

you can see how dirty she got on the bottom of the scope.

But overall I was surprised at how easy it was to get a decent group without experimenting. I do believe I have to let the White take at least one deer this season: :D

Good report! I curious to see what that thing will do after you do work up loads if it's shooting that good now with just a random load. Which model Nikon 1x did you throw on there?

03mossy said:
Good report! I curious to see what that thing will do after you do work up loads if it's shooting that good now with just a random load. Which model Nikon 1x did you throw on there?

It's a Nikon prostaff that I got from a forum member.

blackpowder4me said:
I also decided to try a saboted bullet instead of the bone jarring 460 gr conical.

With your same 90 gr. of powder (Swiss 3f or Pyro P) I get the same results with a 385 gr NoExcuse conical and it really isn't a hard kicking load. The 488 Bullshop is a bit more attention grabbing :wink: but it really shoots the best in my .451.

Be blessed & have fun.

You need to make yourself an innertube scope protector. Or just use duct tape. :)

blackpowder4me said:
03mossy said:

What UC speaks of...

ScopeProtectorPattern.jpg

In the mail

PC070022.jpg

sabotloader said:
blackpowder4me said:
03mossy said:

What UC speaks of...

ScopeProtectorPattern.jpg

In the mail

PC070022.jpg

Now I can hardly wait. Hope the mail man doesn't dawdle. Since you have been shooting this, what would be a load to go hunting with. That way I can give it a try this season instead of working up a load. :D

Gotta remember I am shooting sabots.. It is sighted in for the 275 Bloodline/110 grain t7-2f - so anything in that area...

The scope is only a 3.25 eye relief on 9x so remember that. It never has been a problem for me - but you are on your own

The bike tubes work great if you like the occasional smell of burning rubber. :D It's really very minor and the cover should last indefinitely.

Without it, or something similar, you will totally ruin the finish on that scope.

Underclocked said:
The bike tubes work great if you like the occasional smell of burning rubber. :D It's really very minor and the cover should last indefinitely.

Without it, or something similar, you will totally ruin the finish on that scope.

I will probably just tape it up for now and when the kids are sleeping I'll steal the tube out of their bike tire. :wink:

blackpowder4me said:
Underclocked said:

I will probably just tape it up for now and when the kids are sleeping I'll steal the tube out of their bike tire. :wink:

Tuesday you will see another way to protect the scope...

Very good report. I was shooting my .451 White last week and had some 488 grain conicals.. wow!! 80 grains and them and you know you have shot a gun. But the accuracy was exceptional.

I have shot the 200 grain XTPs out of a blue Harvester sabot (I think it is.. Grouse sent them to me) out of my .451 and was shooting 85 grains of Triple Seven 2f and the accuracy was very good. I am not sure how that light bullet would do for you. Would that be effected by wind bad? See, I never have to shoot long range or in high winds.

Looks like the usual White accuracy to me, very nice!!

My .451 S91 likes 80gr. T73Fg and 480gr. Bullshops. She is ready to go out this saturday for the opener in VA. 8)

Back