My first ML buck!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
It's our shotgun season here in Ma but I decided to do it again with my ML. I have taken a black bear and 3 does but I finnally got my first ML buck yesterday afternoon. Not a very big one but never the less a buck. It's a 120# 4 point. I went out with a friend yesterday afternoon. Way too windy & cold to sit so I went for a walk with my 20 year old MK85 in hand. I walked the feilds for about 20 minutes, just happened to turn & look into the wood line to see a buck watching me. I brought the gun up slowly, centered the cross hair, clicked off the saftey & Booooommmm. It ran/roled down hill about 50 yards. I noticed the street wasnt very far so I made a visual note of the area, ran to the truck and drove about 1.5 miles around the property to the marked area. Ran back in the woods did a super clean & fast 5 minute gut job, dragged the deer about 4 minutes to the truck & took about 15 minutes to get him out of the truck & hung. All took less than an hour. (less driving time) It will take that long to give the gun a thorough cleaning. My quickest, easiest hunt ever from start to finish. It's nice to finnally get an easy one for a change.
Oh by the way I was wearing blue jeans and a green fleece pull-over with a blaze orange vest & hat. Other than the blood on my hands I only got a few drops on 1 pant leg. Usually I get covered. He looks like the same deer I captured on one of my trail cameras. I will post a couple pictures when I get them developed.
I was using a Knight MK85 converted to a 209 disc extream ignition, 2 50gr pyrodex pellets and a 295gr Powerbelt. First pass through using a Powerbelt. I was about to give up on Powerbelts because I dont care for the penatration but I was happy this time. They are the best shooting bullet out of my gun so I have been sticking with them but I would rather use a Nosler partition or an XTP Mag. I get 1.5" one hole groups at 75 yards with the Powerbelts and 4" to 6" groups with other bullets.
Well I still 4 weeks left. 1 shotgun & 3 ML and 2 tags left. Usually I dont see any deer late season but hopefully I can fill my tags this season
Good luck to all this season,
Franko

finnally getting around to posting a couple pictures. We have 2 days left of our season. Sat & Mon. Hope fully I can make it happen. I have 2 tags left, A doe & a buck.
Frank
100_4327.jpg

100_4321.jpg

That's an excellent deer... the butterfly chops will be singing on the grill out of that one.. Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back