What IS this stuff?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I’m just gonna use my crappy lead for these guys....965 bore cannon projectiles.

I don't know if you have a smoothbore muzzleloader? If you do, a lot of the guys over on ALR that shoot smoothbores use wheelweight metal when they practice shoot, or shoot woods walk style. They save the pure lead for big game hunting.

That might be a way for you to use up some of this questionable lead.

Bruce

I don't know if you have a smoothbore muzzleloader? If you do, a lot of the guys over on ALR that shoot smoothbores use wheelweight metal when they practice shoot, or shoot woods walk style. They save the pure lead for big game hunting.

That might be a way for you to use up some of this questionable lead.

Bruce
Bruce, I don’t have a smoothbore, but my son does like to shoot PRB from his .58 musket. I could use a bunch up there as well.

This batch of 124 was cast with a 21 lb elevator counter weight, with 1 lbs 50/50 solder, so 21.5 lbs lead, 0.5 lbs tin 43:1 ratio.
They came out a lot better. Be a bit before I can shoot em.
The boss called and said I had three packages from Fed Ex so I’m thinking my RotoMetals 40:1 is here.
Gonna wire brush out the pot good, then load it with the certified alloy and see if it makes a difference in the way the mold casts...
I found I was getting the best bullets when my sprue took about 10-11 seconds to freeze.
I tested some of my ingots for zinc with muriatic acid and got no fizzle. Don’t know what else might be in there, but it doesn’t appear it’s zinc.
Might have to send a sample to RotoMetals and have them test it or, just cast cannon fodder/round balls out of it, and calm it a moment.
These bullets drop at .510 and weigh 510 grains roughly. I’ll size some to .5075 for one of my S91 rifles and some to .505 for my other one. May even take some from .505 to .5035 for my Whitetail.
Lewis, I may be sending you another batch of these to shoot. They’re a really good looking bullet. I think they’ll be devastating on deer and elk.
Gotta get a Cabin Tree hardness tester, but I bet they’re about a 7.

Attachments

• 158FD77C-6BE4-4BA9-8126-33381AF1B020.jpeg
    158FD77C-6BE4-4BA9-8126-33381AF1B020.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 71552D6C-A7A8-45AE-A433-1ED30C78FCFB.jpeg
    71552D6C-A7A8-45AE-A433-1ED30C78FCFB.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
Back