What Happened

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
All, serious issue here I was firing a Traditions Pursuit g4 I changed my scope setting and it seemed to change my zero any way first group at 1.68 inches then the fun starts I’m thinking it’s me trying to handle this lightweight firearm when I open the gun out pops the recoil lug completely off the barrel both welds cleanly broken . The front hand guard now moves by hand from the barrel.

Ive called Traditions customer service and of course I get what was the load etc now . So I’ve sent them two pics of the parts in question .

What caused this bad weld poor metallurgy. I’m retired law enforcement and a firearms instructor I had a kid have a lug break off a Taurus semi and they tried to say it was reloads until I called them and said I was prepared to testify the kid was using our standard rem factory load no reloads were near his weapon. I wonder how they’ll try and stick this to me .

No clue, I`d lean to poor weld I do not think traditions would would attempt such non-sense, I am glad no one was injured sucks on the pursuit rifle. The more I see and hear of this being a common place, the more I love my buckhorn magnum and old hunterbolt

Man that really sucks. Without looking at it I would suspect a poor weld also. From my personal experience I don't like Traditions. I only ever owned one and that was because I won it in a raffle at the local fire dept. That was a POS and after 2 times at the range I ran it to the local gun shop and traded it in. Actually I should have just thrown it in the trash and save someone else the heartaches.
If Traditions doesn't do anything about it I'm sure you can take it to a competent welder and they can weld the lug back on for you.

Lately I have been helping a new BP shooter with his brand new Traditions Kentucky flinter. Many problems, starting with imoveable sights. Tried Kroil, steel instead of brass punch, backing the barrel with an oak block, heating and cooling, and a BMFH. Finally cut down through each sight base with a jeweler's saw, and replaced with a pair from my miscellaneous parts box.

The lock was poorly made, in many ways. Trigger pull exceeded capacity of Lyman gauge, had to make many adjustments to get pull down to just under 6 pounds. Had to mod frizzen to get smooth action and access to pan for priming. Vent low and far forward, partially blocked.

Traditions is so cheap they didn't even include a flint with the new gun!

After about 5 hours of fiddling the rifle shoots fairly well.

Lately I have been helping a new BP shooter with his brand new Traditions Kentucky flinter. Many problems, starting with imoveable sights. Tried Kroil, steel instead of brass punch, backing the barrel with an oak block, heating and cooling, and a BMFH. Finally cut down through each sight base with a jeweler's saw, and replaced with a pair from my miscellaneous parts box.

The lock was poorly made, in many ways. Trigger pull exceeded capacity of Lyman gauge, had to make many adjustments to get pull down to just under 6 pounds. Had to mod frizzen to get smooth action and access to pan for priming. Vent low and far forward, partially blocked.

Traditions is so cheap they didn't even include a flint with the new gun!

After about 5 hours of fiddling the rifle shoots fairly well.
Do us all a favor. Send that post to Traditions, and ask them what the hell is going on with their products. I believe we will all appreciate their response. it seems lately that they are having a severe QC problem. Thanks for the post.

Ardesa S.A., located in Vizcaya, Spain, manufactures top quality reproductions of famous flintlock and percussion rifles and pistols, 209 primed in-line ignition rifles, and a full line of accessories, that are imported by Traditions Performance Firearms.Nov 29, 2011

This is where the post needs to go, well as I dug I found Traditions well more of an importer, Italy/Spain are the main manufacture Pietta/Umberti/Ardesa S.A these are the makers. Traditions just imports

Ardesa S.A., located in Vizcaya, Spain, manufactures top quality reproductions of famous flintlock and percussion rifles and pistols, 209 primed in-line ignition rifles, and a full line of accessories, that are imported by Traditions Performance Firearms.Nov 29, 2011

This is where the post needs to go, well as I dug I found Traditions well more of an importer, Italy/Spain are the main manufacture Pietta/Umberti/Ardesa S.A these are the makers. Traditions just imports
I sent both of those posts to Ardesa S.A. - apparently the Company has no english site. I sent the posts to their email address. We'll see if I get a response.

However, Traditions needs to be made aware of these problems, as they are responsible for selling a muzzleloader with serious defects. therefore, I would suggest, both Clyde and White Fox send there posts to Traditions, and also get them involved.

Weapon was sent back to them 8 days ago . I told them they can either upgrade me or give me my 250 back no way am I sticking my face anywhere near that rifle. Haven’t heard a word didn’t really expect too.

Well a little update it’s been 16 days since they signed for it on their loading dock and not a word . In fact I sent the guy I had been dealing with an e-mail basically hey you’ve had it for 10 days what did you find what’s going on and again nothing.

So what do you girls and guys think ?

So I followed up the email with a second email which Traditions on their own website says handles returns again nothing . So I turned to an acquaintance that writes a muzzleloader blog and I’m going to give full credit to Toby Bridges for this in less than 12 hours I had an email from Alison in which she states their policy is a 20 business day window to exam the firearm . So I responded back that I thought it was a quite reasonable time frame . However I also stated that I had sent two emails to both the customer service rep that was handling the issue and the to the general customer service email and received no response.
She did apologize and it appears to me she was genuinely unaware that those emails had been sent. So we will see where this goes .

Update I just received a call from Traditions gun shop. The gentleman owned the failure and is sending me a new pursuit with scope and a cerrokote finish which was my one stipulation as after this I will no longer purchase any firearm with this finish .

I am hopeful that this has been properly resolved.

Latest posts

Back