Finally made 200

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Got out to the range around 6:30 this evening and shot the Optima 3 times at 100 and was going to call it good before my brother in law asked if i wanted to set up some 200 yard targets. He wanted to shoot his AR15 out there so i said the heck with it. I grabbed two of the birchwood casey 12" shoot - n - c targets and loaded up the Optima.

NRAshooting011.jpg

100 yards on hot barrel,
NRAshooting009.jpg

NRAshooting012-blackout.jpg

4 3/4" on hot barrel
NRAshooting010.jpg

Now my first and second shots were perfect. The dummy at the other end of the rifle screwed up and didnt let the barrel cool down & she dropped low. It takes a good 6 minutes between shots for it to cool down. My last shot is touching the same hole as the First shot! This rifle is just amazing.

Oh and for the powerbelt lovers
8) That was done with the 245gr aerotip powerbelt and 100gr blackhorn209.
NRAshooting015.jpg

Gives you an idea of what it can do if you allow the barrel to cool down properly,
NRAshooting016.jpg

NRAshooting017.jpg

Holy crap! Thats a 200 yard group with a .50 cal muzzleloader? I must say that is some amazeing shooting. To bad that PB would explode into dust on impact. LOL. Can you do that with a Thor or Barnes in a sabot?

sighted in dead on @ 100 yards, it had 13" of drop. 26 clicks up and it was hitting perfectly center.

Once i stuff my INSERT IGNORE into that powerbelt, the only dust the powerbelt will leave behind will be on the exiting side of the animal!

I hope to try the Thors out this evening as well.

there was a small breeze towards my back. I wouldnt pull the trigger until i felt the wind settle down. Went out again today but never fired a shot due to the rain. Ah spring showers always cut into the fun.

Back