Blackhorn durability question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadbreak

Reaction score
I still have some powder from last year and I just bought a new jug. Will the year old powder have the same velocities as the new jug? I seem to remember that other powders loose some power over time.

IMO it will be fine, if it was stored in a cool dry place. I have used several bottles of BH209, and it is very consistant over a years time :wink:

loadbreak said:
I still have some powder from last year and I just bought a new jug. Will the year old powder have the same velocities as the new jug? I seem to remember that other powders loose some power over time.

What is the date/Lot # on your powder bottles? I saved a couple jugs from the original lot that was released to the public. I have seen variations of around 75 FPS with magnum (120 gr Volume) loads from different lot #'s. There are also other factors to consider, such as powder charge, bullet weight, temperature, humidity, elevation, storage, brand of primer, rifle/barrel length, sabot type/fit, etc.,.

A chronograph is about the only way you will know for sure, at 100 yards or less I doubt you will be able to tell otherwise. There will be some slight variation between Lot #'s, but that is true with every powder made. For hunting, I doubt it would be noticed. Now would I go to the National Championships with two different Lot #'s to shoot in competition? NO!

I think the shelf life is WAY better than the other subs available, but you will have some variation between Lot #'s of all powders.

I buy it by the case and have use several since it came out. I see more difference the lots than I do from age. I do not worry about it any more. Lee

Thanks for the replies. I can't find any lot numbers on the old jug but there is on the new jug. I'm using it for hunting purposes. 100 grs by volume and a 300 gr XTP out of an Omega. Most shots under 120 yds. Also using some of Lanes tubes (thanks Lane very handy). There's not much old powder left but I wanted to make sure that when I went to the range I could use up the old and not have much change .

Latest posts

Back