New Guy from NW Michigan

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEELNEYES

Reaction score
Don't know why I never joined this site a long time ago. I've hunted with a muzzleloader the last nineteen years. I had been using a T/C Renegade in .54 cal. In the early years, I used round balls, then went to the .44 cal saboted slug. Accuracy was never great over fifty yards. It never happened, but I just knew that someday that monster buck was going to step out at a 100 yds and I'd be screwed. This last summer I picked up a used Encore and about a month ago I purchased a Nikon BDC for it. As it gets closer to season you'll probably catch me asking questions on loads, bullets, etc..
I also bowhunt, rifle hunt, turkey, and fish for steelhead, walleye, perch, and I love ice fishing. I have the perfect job, working at a golf course as an assistant superintendent, work from April 1st to the 1st of November.

later

Welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here. I have Renegades myself, and they have to be one of my favorite rifles.

My Renegades shoot just fine. Actually I have four of them. All .54 caliber. If your Renegade is starting to drift in the accuracy department, give it a real good cleaning.

Are you a bore butter user? If you are I will bet that the bore butter has built up in the bore and is effecting the spin on the projectiles. Been there, done that and have the T shirt. I no longer use bore butter. To remove bore butter, its easy. Get some boiling water in a Tea Kettle. Take the barrel outside and some good leather gloves you will need. Pour some dish soap down the bore and then fill it with boiling water. That will melt the wax out of the lands and groves. Now with a brush scrub the bore and keep boiling water going down it as you scrub.

I then like to put boiling water in a coffee can, add some dish soap and swab the bore with wet patches. This will lift all that bore butter up out of the bore and get it floating. Then keep pouring boiling water in it (outside) until it floods over for a little while. All that bore butter will float out with the water.

As the barrel cools, run an alcohol patch or two down the bore. This will lift that water out of all the little pores. Then some dry patches. When that seems to feel dry and the barrel is still hot, swab it with a good gun oil. As the barrel cools, it will suck that oil into itself. Then just set that barrel to the side and let it cool.

When my traditional rifles start to act up, I take the barrel off the stock, and spray brake cleaner down them (there is no bore butter in mine). Then I take a bore brush and scrub the devil out of the bore. Finally I swab the bore with some brake cleaner patches. And then dry patch the bore and after that put a good coat of oil in them as you might have taken the rifle down to metal in spots.

Latest posts

Back