XTP & XTP MAG QUESTION

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefteye

Reaction score
What is the difference between the HORNADY XTP AND THE XTP MAG? They are the same weight and diameter.

If i remember correctly, the mags are designed to expand at higher velocity and hold together a bit better. Basically a slightly thicker jacket. Possibly a slightly harder lead core too.

Such as one is made for a 45 colt and the other for 454 Casull performance levels.

lefteye

Basically they are the same bullet, except that the mag if you look at it closely you will see the copper jacket is rool over the nose and into of the hollow point of the bullet.

From there you go to what GM54-120 said about the increased velocity abilities and the abilty to hold together a bit better on contact than the normal XTP.

Can someone post some pictures of the two side by side. I have some without a box that I dont know what they are, by the sounds of it I think they may be the Mags.
Thanks
Doug

2 cannelure grooves is standard, one cannelure groove is magnum. The hollow point is noticably smaller in the magnum.

The standard is quicker opening.

In the 240-250gr class i prefer the mags but in the 300s, IMO either is fine depending on the application.

I shot 2 deer this past week. One I hit in the shoulder and a 300 XPT mag destroyed it and put the animal on the ground where it was. the second one bled for hundreds of yards and then stopped, animal was not recovered. I shot the deer at 60 yards and tried to punch it through the lungs. Im going to look ta other options so I can get a bigger wound channel.

I just placed a order for some 300s XTP non-mag. From what Ive read the mags have had some problems expanding from muzzleloaders which might explain shooter44n45 loseing a deer at 60 yards. The non mag performs better at the lower velocitys from a muzzleloader. The mag needs hotter loads to get the velocity to open it up.

The .45 xtp mags come in 240 and 300 gr.The 250 gr .45 is a non-mag and the 300 gr in both varities have 2 cannelures.The non mag 250 max's out at 1600 fps the 300 at 1700.The 240 mag max's at 2100 as does the 300. Your choice should depend on what velocity you fire them at.I find that the non-mag does better for the loads I use( I keep my loads under 1600 fps).These are very fine accurate bullets and recovered specimens show very rapid expansion. One of the best things about muzzleloaders is you can match bullets to loads/game easily and better than you can with just about any other type of firearm.

250gr XTP far left, 240gr XTP Mag next to it. The 300gr versions are of the same construction, just longer in the shank.

I have a 240gr recovered from a doe this past season, I'll snap a pic and post it later today.

DSC00741.jpg

Thanks for the all the info, guys. I am shooting 300 grain XTP Mags, 110 grains Blackhorn, Harvester Crush Rib sabots out of a Triumph. So far it has been a lethal combination. I did notice I had no blood trail on one deer with a lung shot, but I found it within 50-60 yards on a grid search. I may try the regular XTPs for better expansion when I go through what I have.

For many years I have used the excellent .430 240 grain XTP to kill over 20 deer and many dozens of hogs. Never lost an animal that was hit with that bullet. However, because of a recent incident involving a boar hog, I will now use the 300 grain .430 XTP bullet on hogs.

240gr XTP Mag from a 90ydish frontal shot on a doe last fall, 120gr BH209.

When we can catch them, they all have looked like this.

240grxtpmag.jpg

240grxtp.jpg

240gr.jpg

Latest posts

Back