How often should you change breech plugs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat trapper

Reaction score
Was just wondering how often a person should change if ever a breech plug? Will accuracy be affected if I continue to use the orginal breech plug in my knight Disc extreme?

Eventually the flash hole erodes and opens up and accuracy suffers IMO. My experience has been that this takes hundreds of shots with Pyrodex or 777, and BlackHorn209 seems to take a while too.

I change my breech plug about once a year. Depending on how much you shoot, just keep an eye on yours. If, after a couple hundred shots, your accuracy starts to go, it might be worth trying a new breech plug.

Depending on load levels, every 4-500 rounds has worked for me.I swap them out when accuracy with proven loads gets wierd and blowback increases.The blowback issue is relevent to models with sealed breeches like Omegas etc.Just think of a plug as a giant nipple and you'll be fine

Underclocked said:
or it might be worth altering one to use vent liners.

Who is converting breech plugs to vent liners?? This might be a good idea, can anyone tell me a little more on this as it applies to a Knight disc extreme??

I had the worst luck with BP and 209 primers . I don't shoot a lot and had to replace mine at least twice a year . Gave up and use the .25 acp conversion with small rifle primer My BP should now last a long time .Never had any wear from my loads (POWDER ) just from the primers .

I dont know but I picked up two of the today from the bargin bin
for my cva's the were $5 each.

Back