? for you guys shooting the open breach style in lines?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NimrodRx

Reaction score
I got on the in-line band wagon after Tony's original design had seen its hay day. My first in line was a break action breach and my existing in-lines are bolts.

Well they were bolts, went "back in time" and picked up a couple TC Black Diamonds. They were the only offering I could find in a 45 cal with a 20 twist.

Seems there are a few guys on here who shoot these. What are some of the creative things that have been done to protect the breach from debris?

Our MLer season is during some pretty foul weather. I'm just a little worried about snow, ice, rain, dirt, sticks.... collecting in that channel and interfering with the striker coming forward.

What have guys done to combat this?

Thanks!

TC sells (or did sell) a slip over covering that both keeps debris from the action and offers protection for the underside of the scope (another concern you need to factor in). https://secure.tcarms.com/store/index.p ... vstart/36/

You could buy one of those (or something similar) or make your own.

Creative use of PVC pipe and Velcro would get you there. Just remember there is going to need be a venting method for the blowback.

I hunted and sat all day in a snow storm one day with the Black Diamond XR. I know snow was getting into the breech or guessed it was. I tried to keep that part under my arm when sitting or a glove over it when walking, but really was not too concerned. At the end of the day when I unloaded, it fired off perfect.

I had some plastic pipe I cut from an old well pipe line and it fit perfect in that open breech of the black diamond. When you would fire it, the chunk of pipe got blown out of course, but it worked. I just never saw the need to use it.

Some simple cling wrap would probably do the trick. I guess if I was that worried I would experiement with lots of things and see what I felt worked best. Personally, I just hunt with them the way they are.

Good stuff guys. Thanks!

I'm going to do some experimenting to see what works (from your comments, maybe I don't even have to address it). I was thinking of sewing a wool sleeve to go over the breach. That'd keep out a heck of a lot of moisture and still allow for gas release.

Cling wrap... I like it. Hadn't even given that a thought. Simple, effective, and CHEAP.

I'm REALLY excited to shoot these rifles. Hopefully over the holliday weekend.

Nimrod,
I hunted with a LK-93 for awhile before going to the Elite. Hunted in all that lovely weather we get during gun/ML/late antlerless season and never had a problem with the gun going off. Been in a couple rain storms that left water standing in the breech in back of the plug, poured it out and kept hunting. I was worried about this at one time also and have just stopped worrying about it. Make sure your breech plug is snug and caps are on tight, no worries.

Had this occur to me and to a friend so watch for it. During a day filled with rain and sleet, water entered the hammer area of our MK-85s, then at night got really cold and this caused the water to slush/freeze. When I pulled the trigger, the hammer stuttered and failed to strike the cap hard enough to detonate. Pulled back and tried it again with the same result. In some areas down south it might not be an issue at all but had it happen to me. Was telling a buddy about it and he confirmed it happened to him as well. I use a piece of leather that wraps around the breech and velcro's at the bottom. It does provide blowback protection to the scope as well.

Thanks fellas.

So what I'm hearing is that with a little precaution, this really isn't that big of an issue. The leather/velcro idea makes sense. Sounds a lot like the offering from TC that underclocked provided the link to.

With a little luck I might FINALLY get to shoot this thing this weekend. The anticipation is killing me.

Back