What bullet should i be shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwooddan

Reaction score
in a T/C Hawkens .50cal when hunting whitetail? Plan on changing from using pyrodex to BP. What do you recomend for hunting purposes that will be easy to find either locally (bass pro, Cabelas, gunshows, etc) or mailed? Would like something not most expensive but in the middle of price.

thanks

bullet

Why not Round Ball. Cayuga is a big proponent of them. If you want to shoot something cheap w/ a sabot get a TC Cheap Shot w/ supplied sabot. I assume your twist is 1:48 if it is 1:66 round ball is your best bet

If your shots are close, like 75 yards and under, a simple .490 patched roundball will get the job done. If you hunt real heavy cover, you might want to try a conical like a maxiball or Great Plains Conical. If your shots are long range you will have to do some experimentation but you might find a sabot that shoots well out of the rifle and would make a good long range projectile.

At the ranges where you can effectively use open sights (for me 75 yds or less) the patched round ball is plenty sufficient and is the truly traditional projectile for these guns. If you feel you must use a conical, the Hornaday Great Plains Bullet is a good bet. Keep in mind the conical will have considerably more recoil as well as cost more. Shot placement is much more important than projectile type. Whichever you choose, take the time to work up the most accurate load.

bullet

TC 360 grain lubed maxieball is accurate and a killer at both ends with 100 grains of bp if it is a 1 in 48 twist
wayles

You will have to shoot some of each to test and see what is most accurate for your rifle. My 1:48 rifles shoot RB well. The longer heavier bullets have not done so well. They will give ?hunting? accuracy but for me that just isn't good enough. I get better accuracy with the shorter, lighter bullets. I use the 250 grain REAL and the 275 grain Maxi-Hunter.

Should have a nice assortment to try, another member was nice enough to send me and should be here this weekend. Right now i have Hor. .490RB's, and the Buffalo Bullet Co. conicals. As soon as i pick up some BP and get the T/C tang sight on i should be good to do some shooting.

thanks

Latest posts

Back