Traditions Shedhorn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice this rifle on the Muzzle-loaders.com site? Seems like a cool rifle but besides what they have on the site I don't see anything else about it anywhere. Nothing on a Shedhorn series on the Traditions site at all. Very similar to the PA Ultralight series but with Percussion sidelocks instead of Flintlocks. Maybe the barrel is a bit shorter too. The blued hardwood version would be my choice but the plastic stock with camo and nitride is a good combo too. Just something I noticed while checking their site recently. Would love to hear what your thoughts are on these guns or Traditions sidelocks like this in general. I think it looks like a nice mix of some modern features on a somewhat traditional style rifle.

Must be a newish model. First time I see it. Notice it's out of stock.
Looks similar to the Deerhunter, which is a pretty solid no frills woods gun.

Must be a newish model. First time I see it. Notice it's out of stock.
Looks similar to the Deerhunter, which is a pretty solid no frills woods gun.
I contacted Caleb at Muzz-loaders.com and he mentioned they are new to the market and they haven't had any stock yet. Probably more buzz after the SHOT show in Vegas he said. Hopes to have them in this Spring.

Last edited:
I just saw this one...I am tempted! I have a Deerhunter and I like it a lot...I don't find its cleaning to be particularly difficult. I have enough Swiss 2F and enough #11 caps to get me through for a long time. Heck, I even have enough cast lead conicals to last me a while too. - On the other hand...this has a double set trigger, which I like and the removable breech plug is always nice. When I first got a sidelock I was very worried about misfires, but in reality, it only has happened once...I took off nipple, dribbled a few grains of powder down and the gun went boom on the next try. So I don't feel the sense of urgency to get this gun as I may have felt a few years ago. That said, I do like the faster twist and the fact that it opens up a world of projectiles that I am more comfortable with. It's not actually out yet, so I guess I have some more time to think about it! - Do ya'll think a musket cap burns hot enough to ignite BH209, or this will be a blackpowder/pyrodex/T7 gun?

I just saw this one...I am tempted! I have a Deerhunter and I like it a lot...I don't find its cleaning to be particularly difficult. I have enough Swiss 2F and enough #11 caps to get me through for a long time. Heck, I even have enough cast lead conicals to last me a while too. - On the other hand...this has a double set trigger, which I like and the removable breech plug is always nice. When I first got a sidelock I was very worried about misfires, but in reality, it only has happened once...I took off nipple, dribbled a few grains of powder down and the gun went boom on the next try. So I don't feel the sense of urgency to get this gun as I may have felt a few years ago. That said, I do like the faster twist and the fact that it opens up a world of projectiles that I am more comfortable with. It's not actually out yet, so I guess I have some more time to think about it! - Do ya'll think a musket cap burns hot enough to ignite BH209, or this will be a blackpowder/pyrodex/T7 gun?
I don't think that a musket cap is hot enough to consistently ignite blackhorn. When I first started hunting with muzzleloaders I shot a sidelock and never had a problem with it misfiring! I did have a few hang fires when practicing that was due to a dirty muzzleloader and pyrodex! The only problem that I've ever had while hunting with a muzzleloader was with a 209 cap that didn't fire! I don't remember what brand it was but the muzzleloader fired on the next shot! I'm glad it was a doe!🤣

It's a good looking muzzleloader. I like that you can remove the breech plug and clean it!

Its certainly legal where i live, but its in a .50 that is a bummer for me. I guess the 2nd bummer thing is Mo. no longer has a ML season. You compete with everybody now. I spect in the next 5 years or so its going to weapon of choice. Season will start in Nov. n close in Dec. Reason is Mo. does not need the deer, says the Ins. Companies n Libtards !

My experience with deer caliber Traditions rifles is limited to the DeerHunter. I fed it nothing but round ball and it fed me venison. Any twist faster than 1-48" doesn't help me since I've always fired prb exclusively.

Latest posts

Back