Hornady FTX Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbygunner

Reaction score
Bought some .452" 250 grain FTX bullets yesterday to try in my Endeavor. When I opened up the box my first thought was that they looked an awful lot like SST's. Called Hornady today and was told by the service rep that they are essentially SST's only they have the flex tip vs. the hard tip, everything else is the same. I've read lots of stories on the SST's somewhat less than consistent performance on game. Don't know what to do, any opinions/experiences with these?

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Complaints were about them after being shot out of a Savage at a lot higher speed than you see out of your rifle.

Was the jacket separating? I've heard everything from SST's that exploded on contact to ones that punched holes and didn't expand.

wbygunner, the FTX is a stouter bullet, I have been testing them I think the lead may be a bit harder. I have used the SST and the SW in 250 gr for years when I want to shoot over 1800 or 1850 I switch to the bonded version. I would use either the bonded version or the FTX for heavy loads of BH or in a Savage with smokeless. Lee

22 deer in three years between my hunting partner and I, all with SSTs. None of the deer went over 20 yards, most were DRT. There is nothing wrong with that bullet. I have no experience with the FTX on game.

Thanks guys, good info. I'll see how they shoot when I get a chance and go from there. I know a lot of guys use the SST/SW's and kill a lot of deer, I've just read a lot of mixed reviews.

The Hornady FTX and the SST show the same expansion when shot into ballistic gelatin in the Hornady Lab.

Chocdog

I have taken 4 deer in the last two years using 250 gr. Hornady SST sabots and they were all through shots. I am going to try Scorpion PT Gold 300 gr. sabots this year, at least on the first deer. I am getting as good or better shot groups with the Scorpions and they are less expensive than the SST's and load easier with the ribbed sabots.

I shot the Scorpions, 260/300 grain, and they didn't group very well, that's why I'm going to try the FTX bullets. Not giving up on the Scorpions, I need to change sabots, I think the crush ribs are too loose in my T/C.

Been testing several bullets in the Triumph I bought from Charlie; so far, the FTX's have not grouped that well:

250 gr. FTX; HSB sabot; 100 gr. BH-209; Fed. 209A primer = 2.25"
200 gr. FTX; HSB sabot; 110 gr. BH-209; Rem. STS primer = 2.06"
260 gr. PT Gold; supplied sabot; 110 gr. BH-209; Rem. STS = 1.73"

Best so far:

250 gr. SW; HSB sabot; 100 gr. BH-209; Fed. 209A primer = 0.93"
250 gr. SW; HSB sabot; 110 gr. BH-209; Fed. 209A primer = 1.09"
245 gr. Knight US/BT; Harvester CR/BT sabot; 100 gr. BH-209;
Fed. 209A primer = 1.09"
Same as above but 110 gr. BH-209 = 1.11"
275 gr. Parker BE; HSB sabot; 110 gr. BH-209; Fed. 209A primer = 1.29"
250 gr. Knight US/PBT; Harvester CR/BT sabot; 110 gr. BH-209;
Rem. STS primer = 1.22"

Have put (17) different loads through it so far; worst was 2.4" with (2) of the (3) at 0.66". In general, I think it will shoot almost anything at minute of deer!!! I remember when pie plate accuracy at 100 yds. was very acceptable!!!!!

My Triumph seems to like the FTX, I have been shooting HSB with 120 gr BH209 so far my biggest group is a 5 shot at just over 1.25 and my smallest is a 3 shot group at .6 for me they shoot just a hair better than the SW. Lee

I haven't given up on them by any stretch of imagination. Well could have been these 70 yr. old eyes!!! I've got (2) boxes of each (200 & 250); so I've got to make them shoot!!!!

Untill I used the Short Black Harvester sabot and at least 110gr BH they did not shoot like that for me. I am working with increasing the load to 120 gr BH so far looks good. Lee

Back