Successful Northern Wi. Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redclub

Reaction score
We just completed our firearm season here in Wi. I go North to Price county which I have been doing since 1953. We started out with 11 hunters for opening weekend and 7 for the season. The first morning was snow covered all over branches, brush, trees etc. About 8:00 Am I saw a nice buck step out ot the white jungle He stopped right behind a tree and all I could see was his backend. He was downwind from me so I just kept saying please just a half step or lower your head. Didn't happen He snorted and took off like crazy, I said shucks, as he was running I fired and hit him ,second shot missed, third shot hit and fourth shot put him down for good. It was a beautiful 8 pointer with a 19" inside spread. That was the only deer I saw that day. Rifle was a Rem. model 700 mountain rifle in 7mm08 scope was a Leo 1 3/4x6. It was set at lowest setting.
That turned out to be the only buck we got opening weekend but that was about to change. Monday morning my nephew shot a 6 pointer, Tuesday my brother shot a dandy 14 pointer, Wed. My brother shot a big ten point
and my other nephew shot a 9 and 8 pointer both very old deer. Thanksgiving brought very cold windy conditions and a spike was shot as well as several does. Friday the same person shot another spike and several more does were shot. So what started out as One of our worst season ended up as one of our best certainly for the size of deer we shot.
This was all on public land. Monday our ML season started and that will be covered in that forum. By the way we can group hunt in Wi. that is why some people shot mutiple bucks
Redclub

meat.jpg

Way to go Red congrats!! NJ shotgun season opens on Monday for us...
Hopefully I'll have a report...

A picture of our meatpole has been added
Thanks Patrick.
Redclub

what unit were you in? i was in 30 & 31, (near musky jacks) with 7 others. I passed on two does opening weekend, and DID NOT SEE ANOTHER DEER FOR 12 DAYS,8-10 hour days, three of my toes are still numb!!!!! #@*#@ *@#^&@#!!!!! no one in our party shot a round. but its good hear you did well. no venison for 3 years now, darn wolves. bill

. Rifle was a Rem. model 700 mountain rifle in 7mm08 scope was a Leo 1 3/4x6

That is about one of the most sensible choices of a deer rifle I think a fella could make. If I lived in a rifle state I do believe I would use just about the same thing.

Redclub:

Congrats! It looks like you guys had a banner year. We just hunted the first 4 days, private ground, but open to the public - 1700 acres total. We only saw one deer, and I was able to take it. It was a forkhorn. There were lots of sign, but no deer.

Did you primarily stand hunt or drive? We're going to have to change something next year, what we're doing isn't working anymore! The area that we hunt is mature hardwoods, with low areas of tamarack. Not much food, all the hardwoods are maples.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Fishunt, We hunt in unit 20 and 25 Lots of wolves there two, Unit 25 is a Zone T area (two doe tags free). All public land.

Rifleman I have a lot of rifles but as I have to walk several miles to hunt and bad knees, shoulder and 64 years old The mountain rifle with its lite weight is really a blessing and as we hunt woods and cutover land a real long shot is not necessary. I like low power,low mounted scopes and it is hard to beat the leopold VX lll in 1 3/4x6( IMO) in these situations. The mountain rifle is lightning fast for running shots and quick openings.
I know a lot of folks will not take these shots but I do and have for 50 years.
Blue dot
We hunt public land (actually private but managed forest so open to hunting for everyone). Most of our places we hunt are clear cuts which are several years old. The best area's are the popple strips which adjoin the clearcuts. Usually when they log they take a forty at a time. Now just so you know clearcuts are not wide open spaces as regeneration is very rapid. and 6 to 8 foot high aspen is the norm the first year. Now the deer only go in the edges of the clearcuts and travel the popple/hardwood perimiters. This year the deer did not move until the 4th day after the snowstorm. It seemed like when it was quiet The deer moved the best. Some days were bitterly cold and windy. other days were real nice and that is when we did well.
We used to drive but as some of us are getting up in age we don't do that anymore. We stand morning and evening and have a cookout at noon on the edge of one of the places we hunt. Even though we have a small crew we hunt in different area's some 10 miles apart. We also do not hunt the same stands in the morning as we do in the evenings. All hunting is in the woods no fields anywhere around that are open to the public.
A buddy of a buddy shot a huge 14 pointer by Fifield that is probably a desendant of yours I will forward you a picture. (your buck not you)
Redclub

I got to try for a hunters choice next year. and maybe a differant unit for the ML for a day or 2. my venison jerky withdrawls are gettin bad. the doe on day2 walked in to 8' of me (ground blind) and than walked270 degrees around the blind,and stayed there for 2 min. i thought she was gonna eat my pack, than saunterd off. i did get to see a red squrrell take a flying leap at a grouse 12' in front of me, very commical, crazy buggers, but also very annoying. bill (3 numb toes still)

I saw about 20 or so deer as did the rest of the crew,
actually quite a few for Northern Wi. I usually go up there for a couple of days of Ml hunting but this year buck tag got used on a buck during Ml season down here where I live. Waupaca county
Redclub

primary- browning madallion (walnut) a-bolt 2 30-06 w/boss w/leupold vari-x iii 3.5-10x40 duplex rec. old secondary- sks (wont use this, because of rice lake incident/idiot) new secondary- knight revolution 50 cal. PITA to clean and heavy as heck,(laminated stock) but, i like it.

my brother (woodruff wi) got a state record for neckline in 95 out of my blind, (the worst meat you ever tasted or smelled, even the old timers tryed to fry it and stunk up thier houses than buryed in the back yard/woods) . this year, we saw some MUCH bigger tracks, (not elk) :)-).. maybe next year.

Redclub:

Thanks for the info. We're planning on a fishing/scouting long weekend sometime this summer, so I'll contact the Dept. of Forestry to see if I can get any info on where the clearcuts are in our area. We have a pretty nice house to stay in for hunting season, so we'll scout close to the house.

One of the guys is talking about taking the whole week off, and I might too. We don't like to hunt alone.

I'll have to dig up a pic of my big one from the Fifield area and send it, if not, I can take a pic of it, it's hanging on the wall!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Back