Toughness of Knight Dyna coating in inside of barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Hey all you Knight users . I was using Triple 7 on our opener here in Delaware and I got a nice buck but after swabbing the barrel I reloaded and hunted the next day with a cover on my muzzle . The following day I broke it down and my first two patches had a light brown on them then it was gone . Is it rust ? Yes I know 777 is corrosive or is it the Dyna coating reacting to it. I checked the bore after cleaning it with water drying etc nothing but shine. I thought the Dyna coating was a protection against this . Thanks

Read like rust residue from powder is on top of Dynacoat.
I don’t think they are doing Dynacoatimg anymore?

Thanks that’s a load off my mine that I didn’t pit anything. It’s a new 1 year old Wolverine that I bought direct from them .

how does the Dyna coating compare to CVAs Nitride process on barrel protection ?

I prefer Dyna coating for two reasons. First nitrating the bore makes it extremely hard I’ve had solid metal bullets in their sabots appear not to grab their rifling .

Secondly, I had a nitrided rifle that completely sheared off it’s locking lug with longitudinal cracks straight down the weld.

Let’s just say a major brand but I’m not going to appear to trash a company they made it right with a cerrokote model because I refused the nitride mod we l

I have a couple of Knight ULites with the Nitride process completed on them. The Nitride process is definitely a very good process for the reduction of stains and fouling. It is a much more complete and durable process than the application of "Bore Tech" or "Dyna Tech" to the bore of their Stainless Steel rifle bores.

Knight 45 fast twist

Nitride-79.jpg

Knight 50 with the Nitride process.

1-19-Knight-Ulite-Nitride.jpg

Nitriding is a type of heat treatment process to create a case-hardened surface by diffusing Nitrogen. The most common applications of the nitriding process are valve parts, gears, forging dies, crankshafts, extrusion dies, camshafts, firearm components, bearings, textile machinery, aircraft components, turbine generation systems, plastic mold tools, etc. The material widely used for the nitriding treatment process are low-alloy steels, aluminum, molybdenum, and titanium. Depending on the case depth, the nitriding process can take 4 to 60 hours.

Developed early in 1900, the nitriding process is widely used in many industrial applications. During nitriding, no phase change occurs. It is one of the simplest case-hardening processes.

sooo , nitride is better than dynatek .... is that correct ?
and dynatek is better than nothing ?
and while nitrude actually changes the surface of the metal .... dynatex is a coating ?
can the dynatex wear off or shoot off on or in the barrel ?
if so would i be correct in assuming dynatek will last at least a few to several thousand shots ?

Last edited:
Nitriding alters the molecular structure at the surface of the metal from within making it [the metal] more resistant to rusting without changing the physical dimensions of the metal. Look at nitriding as being an internal thing, not a surface thing. Dynatek is a coating that is applied to the surface of the metal and can change the bore's dimensions when applied in a barrel. Dynatek will require some heat working to fully cure the process, like shooting. If anything, however minute, is on the metal when the Dynatek is applied it can peel off in time. Since Dynatek is a surface application it can also wear. If one is seeking the most permanent solution to a gun's protection from weather and other elements, nitriding is the answer.

If I was 30 again and landed an Accura V2 like the one I own, I would take the time to get it nitrided just to ensure that it's gotten the best possible long-range care that I can give it. All but one of my inlines are stainless, yet I go out of my way, and will not dicker with cost, to make sure they get the best cleaning and storage care I can give them. At my age the green banana syndrome is a constant so I'm not going to nitride any of them at this point in life, but if I was young.....

Last edited:
......... Dynatek is a coating that is applied to the surface of the metal and can change the bore's dimensions when applied in a barrel. Dynatek will require some heat working to fully cure the process, like shooting. If anything, however minute, is on the metal when the Dynatek is applied it can peel off in time. Since Dynatek is a surface application it can also wear. If one is seeking the most permanent solution to a gun's protection from weather and other elements, nitriding is the answer. .........

i understand the nitride is a much more durable and better route to go . but ......if i'll probally never shoot the gun more that 1000 times is that within the range of shots where dynatek starts flaking or wearing too thin ? have folks actually had knights where the dynatek was failing ? is it one of those things that can happen but almost never does ? or is it a common problem only effecting the few folks who shoot hundreds of rounds a year and in a few to several years the dynatek is wearing too thin or flaking ?

I have 3 knight rifles with dynatek. 1- 200 shots fired, 1-500 shots fired, 1- over 1,000 shots fired, the bores all look the same. The one shot the most is the one that shoots the best.

Read like rust residue from powder is on top of Dynacoat.
I don’t think they are doing Dynacoatimg anymore?
If I cleaned it with water and then an oil based solvent and preservative with all patches white,how aggressive should I clean it going forward ?I’ve never used a copper brush on it just nylon brushes .

If I cleaned it with water and then an oil based solvent and preservative with all patches white,how aggressive should I clean it going forward ?I’ve never used a copper brush on it just nylon brushes .
You will have no problems with copper/bronze brushes. They have been used for probably nearly a century..

Back