Loads for caribou

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of a caribou hunt in 07. :) Anybody got any good load info for dead on kill zone out to 250 yards poi that is heavy enough for caribou for ML II.

doggzoe said:
Thinking of a caribou hunt in 07. :) Anybody got any good load info for dead on kill zone out to 250 yards poi that is heavy enough for caribou for ML II.

How are you going to get it there?

No plans made. In the talking stage right now. 3 maybe 4 guys in the hat so far. No hunting area or anything discussed yet.

doggzoe said:
Anybody got any good load info for dead on kill zone out to 250 yards poi that is heavy enough for caribou for ML II.

I don't have a single load that is a 6" kill 250 yd. MPBR. My "best," or at least favorite load at this point is a 300 gr. Barnes Original loaded to about 2250 fps. The 6" MPBR is about 212 yards for that load.

The 250 yard hold on hair really isn't a great idea, you really need to learn trajectory. If you are on the tundra, a 20 mph crosswind is not unusual at all. That same load = 23.58" of wind drift @ 250 yards. There are stories about "the wind did that :?: " that you may not want to hear; and those were all centerfire-related.

It also can take a good while to decide if your "shooter" really is. It can sound like a wet T-Shirt contest: great tops, no bottoms, not wide enough, great bottoms but no tops, good tops and bottoms but no bezes, etc. :roll: All depends what you are looking for, I suppose.

I've killed and friends have killed plenty of caribou, all with one shot I may ad, with a 250-grain Shockwave bullet traveling at right around 2,250 fps at ranges from 90-200 yards. This has been a great hold-on-hair load for me to 200 yards.

No wet T-shirt contest with this bad boy.......another 250-grain shockwave victim.

normal_vbull2.jpg

That's a nice animal you've posted again, TJ, but that is of no help for a 250 yard MPBR Savage load, or a Savage load period.

If you want better than 3 pellet Omega performance with a 250 SST, with less recoil, less cost, and no immediate cleaning in a Savage 10ML-II-- N110 gets you there. :drinkers:

True 200 yard, accurate Savage loads are very easy to find.

Why Randy......are you a little bitter about being out done by a chick? I know you shot some good bulls in Manitoba but isn't this the kind we all dream about.....the kind that don't make you pause for a second to look at their tops or bottoms? And Randy...do you really think you can see a picture like that of a really pretty girl holding a top-5 caribou enough times? I know I can't.

Anyhow, I think my post was most helpful as I know I've seen far, far more caribou fall to a muzzleloader than you and I was just sharing what I know to be a good bullet for these critters at a known velocity. I thought it would be a simple matter to figure out how much powder to use in the Savage to get these type of velocities. If you are looking to start a debate here about Savage vs Omega vs Encore, you picked the wrong person.The Savage is an excellent rifle. :drinkers:

I was just sharing a little actual field experience....something I know you are short on.

sheephunterab said:
If you are looking to start a debate here about Savage vs Omega vs Encore, you picked the wrong person.The Savage is an excellent rifle. :drinkers:

The Encore is an excellant rifle as well. A much better 777 gun IMO.

Thanks Tom......I don't want to over do the picture thing but I saw that doggzoe was new to the board and most likely hadn't seen Vanessa's bull so I took the liberty of posting it again. Pictures like this are the fodder for many a dream of going caribou hunting. I thought I was just helping out by sharing what I know about the performance of bullets on caribou. I've had the good fortune to see many, many bulls go down.

Thanks guys. I know there are several good 200 yard loads out there. I just thought mabye someone had a pet load in their back pocket that they might share. I know trajectory for any load must and should be learned. But any anything extra for hunt of this type would be a bonus and a slight edge. I also like pictures of pretty girls and nice animals and when they are both together,well there you go. The Barnes originals seem to be hard to come by but I have my name on a couple of waiting lists.

doggzoe said:
Thanks guys. I know there are several good 200 yard loads out there. I just thought mabye someone had a pet load in their back pocket that they might share.

If i had to prepare for a 200yd hunt right now. The bullet of choice would be a 40/50 260grn DeadCenter. It has a great BC, and it's accurate.

Rifleman said:
Tom, Have you shot that bullet at 200yds? What were your results?

No matter what bullet i shoot at 200yds my results arent good. I think my best 200yd group was with a 260grn DC. I think it was a 5" group. Nothing special that's for sure.

Well 5 inches ain't too bad either, but there are better, just keep trying.

doggzoe said:

If I were going tomorrow I'd probably pick a 250gr Shockwave or a 250gr Bonded Shockwave and 42gr VV N-110. It's an easy hold on hair load to 200yds, maybe a little farther. The problem would be getting the N-110 there. Why don't you ask the outfitter what propellants are available locally and go from there.

Sheep...Is there ANY reason one wouldn't be able to get within 200yds of a nice bull?

Latest posts

Back