Thompson Center Hawken/Renegade Variances

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking around for a renegade scope mount I found this Holden Ironsighter #375. High enough to clear the hammer and not offset so distance shouldn't be a factor. I have these on my Marlin 336 and it's not that high. a few on ebay for less than $30/
s-l1600.jpg
Looks like I need that on one of my GM 45 barrels ,getting rid of off set would be a big help and my eyes would thank you/Ed

This is something i have wanted to do for awhile, Frustration from buying a New Stock without a Tang is what helped me to Decide to Post this.

I know there are LOTS of Folks that Strip these Old TC Stocks down, and Sell EVERY part Separately, Obviously to make as much money as they Possibly Can. I Try my BEST to BOYCOTT Those Sellers, I won’t buy from them unless I ABSOLUTELY have to have a Part, I will wait til i find a COMPLETE Stock that Has NOT been Stripped of it’s Parts

The Rifles that were put together, and Fitted by TC (NOT Kit Guns) are usually Fitted pretty Well. If they Seen a BIG GAP at the Factory they could pretty easily Fix it, Fit it Properly, Etc. When i see these Stocks that have Been COMPLETELY Stripped of their Parts the First thing that comes to my mind is Fitting that Stock Back with Parts from another Rifle, They DON’T all fit right!! Some NOT AT ALL!!

Here is Why Parts from 1 Rifle DON’T all, Always Fit Right “Drop in” There are like 3 Variations of The Hawken, and the Renegade. Starting from the VERY BEGINNING, The OLDEST Rifles (Variation 1) Then there is a Variation 2, and a Later Variation (Newest Models) All 3 of these Variations have Slight Differences, to LARGE ones! So lets say you have a REALLY Old Stock (Variation 1) And you need Parts for it? You buy a WHOLE Bunch of Parts off Ebay, Only to find out that Some of them DON’T FIT :(

The oldest Variation 1 Tangs used 2 Wood Screws To mount the Tang in Place. The Later versions only use 1 Wood Screw in the Rear Hole, and a Long Machine Screw in the Front Tang Hole, This Long Machine Screw goes all the way through the Stock and Threads in to the Trigger Guard. These Parts do NOT interchange, You need to be aware of that, and Know EXACTLY what you have, and What you need?

The above was posted by Idaholewis. Lew, was dead on with this post! I purchased a beautiful Renegade stock from Willfish4Fud and it came with the Tang and Trigger guard. I assembled the rifle and everything seemed to fit perfectly. I couldn't have been happier as to how the Renegade looked with the new stock! I got my loads ready for a day of shooting and just before I left I decided to cock the hammer back and set the trigger. I couldn't do it? I said what the heck!! The trigger guard prevented the trigger from coming back enough to set the trigger. I stared in disbelieve. "Saying to myself how could this be". I took everything apart checked everything out as best as I could and everything fitted perfectly.

I matched the trigger guard to the one I had from my old Renegade stock and it was slightly longer in the rear and would not fit the new stock unless I did some stock removal. Not much but enough and I didn't want to do that. I called Lew and he gave me some tips as to where to try to bend the trigger guard. Well after bending it with my hand a little I reassembled the trigger guard and sometimes I could set the trigger. I decided to take an old hammer handle I had laying around and with a hammer gently bang where Lew Indicated. I got it to the point where it will now reliably set the trigger, but it still isn't perfect, but it works. I should note my picture shows the trigger in the Set position.

Listed below is Lew's rifle where he told me to bend/strike it with the red arrow. Mine is the other picture and you can see how little clearance I have, but it works for now. If anybody has any other suggestions, I'm all ears! My only other option right now which I don't think I want to do at least not yet is to grind down that little hook behind the trigger. I don't think there is a way I could have inserted the trigger wrong as I've done it many times before, but I have been known to do stupid things every now and then! LOL

Lew, definitely knows what he is talking about and has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to share it at a drop of a hat to help fellow ML shooters out!

Thanks, Lew wherever you are!!

IMG_6584.JPGIMG_6600.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is what Col. Jeff Cooper had in mind with his Scout Rifle design
54 cal scout sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back