Help choose a rifle for my kid

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDeere

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to wind down a purchase decision and thought I'd borrow your opinions. On another thread I mentioned looking for a frontstuffer to train up my 7-year old. Some of you gave me a great tip to consider the Wolverine Youth. After some hemming and hawing, I've narrowed my focus to the older MK-85's, really for 2 reasons: first the fore end grip is a lot slimmer for little hands, and second the butt stock is solid and can be shortened to any length. The Wolverine's is hollow I think.

I have a bead on two different MK's that are reasonably priced. Which would you choose?

An MK-85 carbine in 54 cal with a 20" barrel. I'd probably start Matthew on roundball with 60gr charges. Fewer projectile choices, yes. Heavier lead, generally, so more recoil with conicals. Less efficient for burning powder with hotter loads later. Shorter sight plain, so harder to hit with our iron sight requirements. But shorter barrels are a big carry advantage for young kids. There is fairly little stand hunting (by comparison to whitetails) out west.

Second is an MK-86 in 50 cal with the usual 24" barrel. Better sight plain. Harder to tromp around with for vertically challenged kids. A bit weightier up front, maybe enough to make small left arms supporting the rifle waver more--maybe even negating the sight plane advantage some. I don't know much about the MK-86's. This one comes w/o the shotgun barrel but that's no biggie.

Which direction would you lean?

May even want to look at a cva bobcat or mountain rifle as they are under 6lbs and very easy to handle.

The full size Wolverine stock is not hollow. My 9 y/o shoots it uncut with 70gr 777 and a 300gr XTP with no problems. Killed a doe 2 weeks ago with it.

Not hollow? That would make a big difference to me. I've seen it said both ways. How's the trigger on that Wolverine?

Thanks, Dave.

To another: I've been following up on CVA, too. I don't know as much about CVA's quality whereas Knight's is a known high standard, but both the bobcat and mountain rifle (in particular) are hard to find.

Anyone know if the synthetic MK85 weighs about the same as the Wolverine? Wolverine specifications are easy to come by--about 7#. My MK-85 has a laminated stock, which is normally quite a bit heavier than a synthetic.

old wolverines (like the one i have) have a hollow stock, new ones do not. my mk-85 weighs around 6 3/4 lbs i believe. pretty standard. wolverine weighs 6 (with hollow stock). that mk-85 carbine (20" barrel) would be nice if you cut the stock down for him.

That .54 MK85 carbine sounds ideal to me. It would be a great deer stopper with low recoil with a roundball load like you describe, and would not overwhelm a youngster when he carried or handled it. Shorten the stock and keep the sawn off piece in case you want to lengthen it again when he grows up. Put a nice, soft recoil pad on it, slap a set of fiber optic sights on it if they're legal where you live and you're good to go.

I recommend the X7 Omega, I would want something really strong, kids make some mistakes while they are learning. Lee

I second Lee's recommendation. If I'm not mistaken, the Omega X7 is a little shorter in length which would be very helpful in carrying around in a hunting situation for a youth. IMO, a quality gun a youth can grow into.

Can't do the Omega. Must have open ignition #11 or musket cap in the states I hunt.

Back