The shortage.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
... of shooting things is frustrating. Last week we had percussion caps no issue. Today there were only RWS1075 caps at $10.99/100 tins. Quite a few tins of musket caps however. Even cans of BP substitute is looking grim. This is NUTS. I understand morons hoarding modern ammo (not a round of .38 special to be found) but black powder stuff? So far 2020 hasn't been very nice to me. It HAS allowed me to make it through one ER visit and a stint in the IC unit but I sure hope that doesn't happen again the way this year is going!!!!!

... of shooting things is frustrating. Last week we had percussion caps no issue. Today there were only RWS1075 caps at $10.99/100 tins. Quite a few tins of musket caps however. Even cans of BP substitute is looking grim. This is NUTS. I understand morons hoarding modern ammo (not a round of .38 special to be found) but black powder stuff? So far 2020 hasn't been very nice to me. It HAS allowed me to make it through one ER visit and a stint in the IC unit but I sure hope that doesn't happen again the way this year is going!!!!!
Calm down ole buddy....no more visits to ER or ICU. Morons don't store modern ammo, they prepare. Making masks is more important now:rolleyes:

I hope you stay healthy and out of the ER and ICU! I have some experience with both and it wasn't fun.

The same thing happened when Obama was elected. Caps went sky high. Gun shop shelves were empty of ammo and the price of ammo soared.
I understand where some of the shortages are coming from, particularly for smokeless ammo. But what is driving black powder supplies shortages? I just don't know. Maybe the huge demand for cartridge firearms and ammo for all the newly sold guns is consuming both the raw materials and the manufacturing capacity. Maybe materials are being diverted from making caps to making primers.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, estimates that gun sales from March through July were 8.5 million. This is 94% higher the same period in 2019.
Firearms industry consultants estimate July sales alone were 2.0 million units, an increase of 136% over July 2019.

If a person buys 200 rounds for their new gun, and 8.5 million were sold March through July, then that means 1,700,000,000 (one billion seven hundred million) more rounds would have been sold in that period, over and above the usual ammo sales. That'll get your attention and empty the shelves!
There are a large number of new gun owners, and that it good.
Ron

... allowed me to make it through one ER visit and a stint in the IC unit but I sure hope that doesn't happen again the way this year is going!!!!!
Been to both places fall of last year, finally getting over that baloney. Just do what the doctors tell you and you should be fine.

Looking at the inventories of these supply chains for what we need is a work in process. Seems everyone is out of our kind of goods, maybe I'm told they should be resupplied by mid-summer.

Are the RWS primers worth purchasing and using if there is nothing else?

Wondering the same here.
I can't find Caps or powder anywhere and I am almost out, especially Powder.
Was thinking about buying two more rifles, but not if I have no loading componants.

"Oh, for the good old days" like said by our parents and grand parents when referring to how expensive things have become. Remember when there wasn't an issue about guns and ammo until Hillary was going to be President. Then "Cadee bar the doors". I worked at Cabelas Gun Library after retiring from the phone company.

One evening we were standing in the library watching what was going to the cash registers (firearms and ammo). Here are these young families (in their twenties) with several kids hanging on the carts while dad is pushing a load of ammo and a couple AR-15 to the register. Crap he had probably several thousand dollars worth of goods. We were thinking how can he justfy the cost of what he's going to purchase? These young families went nuts with their buying at that time. We saw the same thing the last couple of elections.

Then the sad thing after the election is over here are the same folks coming back in and wanting to return (sell) their purchases back to Cabelas. Biggest problem is Cabelas will not take the ammo back and the guns have left the building and are now considered used. That means unfired weapons will be valued at full retail when purchased less 30% being considered used. These poor kids are between a rock and a hard place.

Several of these young families asked me what I would do? If it was me I would advertise them in the classfied section of the local paper, cash only deal with a 10% discount off full amount paid - keep your fingers crossed you make a deal.

People are turning to black and black substitutes because they think it’s all they will have in the future. I’ve sold 5 1851 navy’s in the last 3 weeks and every person buying told me this. Same thing happened after sandy hook too. I’ve sold more modern ammo and guns last year than ever in the 10 years I’ve been in business.

ash1055 and Hylander,
I prefer the RWS caps over all others as they seem to be noticeably hotter. I have to order mine as they are no longer available locally.

-Joe

Thanks Joe,
I just picked up some standard CCI #11 today, and may have a line on some RWS 1075
Now if I could find some #10

I'm glad I'm switching to Flint. Wondering if I should start making my own Black Powder. :rolleyes:

What I'm noticing is if you're in the market for a new production Side Lock like a Traditions or Lyman, everyone seems to be Out of Stock! o_O

ash1055 and Hylander,
I prefer the RWS caps over all others as they seem to be noticeably hotter. I have to order mine as they are no longer available locally.

-Joe
I found 2500 on Midway a while back So I guess I did ok there. None locally here either.

ash1055 and Hylander,
I prefer the RWS caps over all others as they seem to be noticeably hotter. I have to order mine as they are no longer available locally. -Joe
RWS has always been hotter and the one most shooter use. You would think these other companies would wakeup.

there aren't many weapons that take # 10 caps anymore. any one besides me notice it??

My local Muzzle Loader shop still has CCIs at $6.25 per 100. I believe Sportsman's wants $6.99 but thought I saw them at Cabelas for $2 more.

I've had really good luck with Remington. They state they are 40% hotter! Compared to what, I don't know. :p

I had some Remington's in the 80s that had a metal liner inside. The nipple had to be removed and picked out on every shot. I avoided them for years.

-Joe

Scored today :)
Picked up 2600 caps, an assortment of #10 and #11 for dirt cheap.
Will also be picking up 2 tins of RWS 1075 and a can of Goex FF tomorrow.
Happier than a Tornado in a trailer park.

Percussion Caps.jpg

Latest posts

Back