are they the same bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
The TC shockwave and the hornady sst?
they look the same except the color of the insert.

Hornady makes them as SST for themselves and for TC as Shockwaves. The only difference is the tip and the supplied sabot.

Curtis

does one have a clearly better sabot?
i have shot the TC and its a tight fit in my optima elite barrel.

( does one have a clearly better sabot?) That I do not know, I cast my own Boolitz so I buy my sabots in bulk. :)

I normally use the Harvester short Black sabot for both of my boolitz. http://www.grafs.com/product/230217 they are $4.59 per 50. I order in cases of 12.

In my experience the 3 main sabots are : Harvester, MMP , Knight. They also go in size the way I have listed them from small to large.

All the TC sabots I have seen have been the MMP (stepped base, long pedals) . I think they are HPH/12 s but someone with more TC experience will have to verify.

A better sabot is a good question, but? What is your definition of a better sabot? Do you mean will it work better in my gun? Will it shot more accurately? Only you can do the testing with your rifle and find these answers. I like a tight boolit/sabot fit, 50 lbs or so to seat the boolit/sabot is about right for the powders I choose to shoot. My definition of better may be different than yours. I believe that all the sabots out there are great, and they all have a place for use in some guns.

Ken
CNY

Although they look the same, there are different types of SST/Shockwave bullets. I use the un-bonded .45 caliber 250 grain SST/Shockwave. It has worked well for me on deer and dozens of hogs.

The .45 caliber 250 grain SST/Shockwave has been made in the following types.

1. The un-bonded bullet with hard plastic nose insert.
2. The un-bonded bullet with soft plastic nose insert.
3. The bonded Shockwave.

There have been all kinds of accusations thrown at the SST/Shockwave bullets. Some claim that they will not expand at close range. Some claim that they come apart when hitting deer and hogs. None of those things have happened to me. Put the bullet in the right place and it will do the job for you.

OptimaAndy said:

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this index referring to sabot/bullet diameters that big6X6 posted.

I found that a SST with the red sabot was near impossible to load down my Black Diamond XR while the Shockwave is fine. The EZ glide are too loose for me, but would be an option in a real tight bore.

OptimaAndy said:

Can't say much about the Optima barrel, but i do have an Omega. The shockwave bullets with the black sabot were much too tight for my Omega barrel. What i did was switch to the bullets with the super glide sabot, and these worked ok. I also purchased some super glide sabot to use with the bullets i had already purchased with the regular sabot. I also purchased some Harvester Crush Rib sabot, and used them with the shock wave bullets. This seemed to give me the best results in my rifle.

Another direction i went was to the Hornady sst with the low drag sabot. These were fairly inexpensive at the time, and worked in my rifle's tight barrel.

These days, i have quit shooting those bullets due to marginal performance on game. Every doe i shot i tagged, but i was some disappointed in the damage done by those bullets. I was able to see what Nosler Partitions did on a couple of doe, and they are a way way better killer than the sst or shockwave. The difference in tissue damage is unquestionable.

Discussion by other posters and their experience with bullets has led me to try the 44 caliber 300g xtp. It is about as inexpensive to shoot as it gets in a store bought bullet, and others seem to have had very good results on game. I plan to shoot at least one doe with this bullet this next hunting season, and if it works as i assume it will, i will shoot more than one.

In my omega the 44 xtp is quite accurate with the crush rib sabot, and it loads easy enough, and i have zero hang fire with BH209. This combination will be my first hunting load this next season. In my accura the crush rib is too loose, so i use the Harvester High Pressure sabot for the 44 caliber bullet, and it is quite accurate.

The SW and the SST are much the same if you slice them in half and check them out,the bonded SW and the FTX are a bit different, the FTX was designed for a cartridge gun that shoots in the 2250FPS range and will not open well with the mini type loads but will work quite well at 2100+.

Back