messed up today double loaded

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year, I was taking a firearm safety course. Now at the time, I was 57 years old. Wasn't required to take it because I was grandfathered in when it became law, but still always wanted to have that Hunter Safety certificate in case I went somewhere where it was required. So anyhow, I'm sitting in a classroom with a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds and the instructors were talking about different types of firearms. An instructor has a sidehammer Hawken percussion, and while discussing muzzleloaders, he puts a cap on the nipple and pulls the trigger. I saw it coming just before he did it, but you should have seen all of those kids jump. I didn't say anything, but here we are in a SAFETY course, and an instructor intentionally fires a cap in a closed classroom. Hope I'm not the only one that see's something wrong with that!! This guy is a heavy duty hunter and very active in hunting organizations around here and it totally amazed me that someone would do something like that.

Sagebrush I believe that you might need a firearms training class. I can't see ever firing any type of a firearm inside of a house!!!!!!

Sagebrush,

Years ago while shooting at the Lion's club range in Bntfl, I accidently loaded two 535 grain No Excuses slugs into my TC Firehawk .54. As I didn't own a bullet puller, and that rifle doesn't have a removable breech plug, there was only one way to remove the bullet. That was to shoot it :shock:

I laid it over the bags and then I stayed as far away as possible and still keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. I squeezed the trigger and the gun REALLY went off. I was lucky too and I would never recommend that anyone shoot a 1070 grain bullet :oops:.

Anyway, other than some severe "leading" in the barrel, all was okay. I bought a bullet puller that day and have had to use it a time or two again.

Glad you are okay. Good luck this week. I am way excited! Couldn't sleep last night as I am getting anxious about getting everything in order.

Firehawk

Underclocked said:
Toy, that wouldn't prevent the mental lapses that are going to happen now and again. I've dry loaded both ways - forgetting the powder or forgetting the projectile.

Forgetting the bullet is actually pretty funny. :)

I was thinking more of the safety aspect of when/where to point a gun and pull the trigger. I know of at least one death from shooting a "unloaded" muzzleloader inside the house. Killed the guys wife in another room,,,accident, not sure, but he wasn't charged!! :shock:

Everyone makes mistakes-- plan for it.

1. always use a witness mark
2. when loading, don't stop until done. No talking--no distractions.
3. always use a witness mark !

These rules have protected me from my several mistakes.

I always used to preach to newbies to mark their ramrods...but when I replaced mine I didnt.

last year while sitting on stand I had a strange thought come to me...I think my gun may be double loaded! I had been sitting there for several hours and was only lucky that a deer did not slip by.

when I got back to the cabin I dropped the breech and sure enough 2 loads

mark your rods

I did the same thing this past august. i got to yakking to my 2 buddies while loading and double loaded. i knew as soon as i pushed the 2nd load down that i had screwed up.i have had this gun since 1998 and had never done this. i still wonder if the 2nd load would of acted as a projectile or a blocked barrel.thanks goodness for bullet pullers

I have been putting off marking my ramrod as I only think about it out at the range and have nothing to mark it with. However, one simple step I do everytime I load is put my thumb on the rod at the tip of the barrel. Then pull out the rod and put it against the outside of the barrel. I can then tell how far down it was and tell that they is no way it is double loaded.

On another note, not sure if its people just being careless or not. But I was raised to treat every gun as if it is loaded. And the most deadly gun is an unloaded one. Never assume. I check my guns everytime i touch them. I will check it before I put them in the safe and when I take them out even though I know I was the only person to touch it and put it in the safe unloaded myself. I will check it again when I get where ever I am going shooting. Its just a task that I may overdue but might save the life of someone or myself one day.

When loading a muzzy when in doubt stop and reload. If someone bothers me and I forget which step I am on I will remove the breech plug and empty barrel and start over.

Yes pulling the breech plug is pretty fast, simple and a safe thing to do if in doubt.

Idid it again!

I had a senior brain malfuction also today!! Loaded up, dropped the hammer, primer fires,nothing happens?? Looked at my powder measure laying there still full!! Nice day at the range. :x

Back