messed up today double loaded

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagebrush

Reaction score
I wasnt paying attention today while loading I was talking to someone and put a doub le charge of BH 209 in the rifle. I was loading 100 grains loads at the time. so ended up with 200 grains.

Let me tell you I am lucky to be here I guess, nothing wrong with the rifle, it was in my Knight LRH, I will say that it does pack a wallop to boot.
the rifle came back and hit me with the scope first time I have ever been hit by a scope. It was sitting on my shooting bag it jumped up about a foot and came right back at me. all I could say was Sh*t WTF!!

the bolt was stuck some. the primer was smashed in the bolt from the pressure. I had to extrat the bolt to get the primer out of the pocket. and pry it out with my knife it was stuck in there pretty good.

here are some pics of the primer. like I said the barrel looks fine I did contiune shooting at the range for the rest of the day.
and no I was not gun shy the rest of the day. just shook it off.

the one on the right is a unfired primer.

100_09642.jpg

100_0963.jpg

100_0962.jpg

Sweet nelly!!
I'm glad it turned out better than most of us would have thought. My muzzleloading career is about 4,500 bullets and one of them with a rod in the barrel. That was an eye-opening experience, although not from the scope. Never did find that rod.
Glad to hear you're OK.

Best regards,
Cob

Oh I have shot a ram rod also it was in the house no less scared the hell out of the wife in the next room rod and bullet went through celling and deflected off the chimney.

I used to always shoot a primer in the breech before loading well I forgot that I had a charge in the rifle. so I thought I was going to load it up at home before heading out for the day.

so i put a primer on the nipple (#11 cap) put rifle between my legs next to the boys and boom. i was sitting down at the time. the wife was yelling at me, I claming said everything is ok nothing hurt. :lol: expect for the hole ffrom the bullet and ram rod in the celling. it did shattered the rod into peices. we do not do that any more either.

Oh I have shot a ram rod also it was in the house no less scared the hell out of the wife in the next room rod and bullet went through celling and deflected off the chimney.

I used to always shoot a primer in the breech before loading well I forgot that I had a charge in the rifle. so I thought I was going to load it up at home before heading out for the day.

so i put a primer on the nipple (#11 cap) put rifle between my legs next to the boys and boom. i was sitting down at the time. the wife was yelling at me, I claming said everything is ok nothing hurt. Laughing expect for the hole ffrom the bullet and ram rod in the celling. it did shattered the rod into peices. we do not do that any more either.

I'm speechless.....

I'm surt glad it wasn't worse. Good thing you were shooting a havy duty rifle.
Art

I don't understand why you shot it like that, obviously you didn't know but don't you know how deep your ram rod should be....

cell said:

so i put a primer on the nipple (#11 cap) put rifle between my legs next to the boys and boom. i was sitting down at the time. the wife was yelling at me, I claming said everything is ok nothing hurt. Laughing expect for the hole ffrom the bullet and ram rod in the celling. it did shattered the rod into peices. we do not do that any more either.

I'm speechless.....

:shock: :shock:

I use to always mark my ramrods until I switched to Blackhorn 209 powder. Theres a definite feel when the sabot/bullet reaches the powder. I never really thought about a double load and how easy that could happen. I'm going to permanently mark all my ramrods tomorrow.

I'm glad you are OK and thank you for your post.

I had a suspicion that i had already loaded it, and no my ram rod is not marked. It is very easy to get distracted while loading a muzzle loader at the range. mostly when they call an all clear so people can go and look at targets and such. most of the time I will keep loading my rifle when this happens so this kind of thing does not happen.

this is an open to the public range that I go to, I have no access to private property to shoot on.

at this range there are a few people that go all the time and after a while you tend to get to know them and have conversation's about shooting and hunting. we kinda have certain benches that we always use also.

Wow... sure glad to read you and the gun both survived. Thanks for sucking it up and reminding us about the safety aspects of this sport. I appreciate your post.

Yikes

Anybody can make this mistake. I made the error of double loading once (powder bullet, powder bullet). My spidey sense told me something was wrong and never pulled the trigger. I ended up manually unloading the rifle with a jag and ramrod. I was sick to my stomach when I discovered the double load. Lesson learned. At least you had a stand up rifle. I don't think that you would have been telling this story if you double stacked a charge in an inferior inline.

Sagebrush, I would strongly suggest that you develop a rapport with local ML shooters. A ramrod thru your roof....& a double charge. You definitely need some mentoring or one day we will be reading your obituary, not your posts.

Hakx

I dry loaded once upon a time, but never double loaded or shot out a ramrod. This isn't rocket science, but does require complete attention to detail!!
I have never shot a gun in the house, always double check to make sure the breech is unloaded before pulling the trigger when cleaning. Snap those caps outside!!

Maybe there should be a mandatory expiration on hunter safety courses, so we need to get recertified.

Toy, that wouldn't prevent the mental lapses that are going to happen now and again. I've dry loaded both ways - forgetting the powder or forgetting the projectile.

Forgetting the bullet is actually pretty funny. :)

I"ve seen two negative feedbacks on gunbroker where the customer complained that the ML was shipped loaded

:shock:

STOP firing primers off in the house. Treat every gun as if it were loaded. Learn from other peoples mistakes. Use a witness mark on your ramrod. Glad you (and everyone else) are OK.

I appreciate your post.

It is a great reminder.

I read somewhere that there are 2 types of dangerous shooters. The Novice, and the Expert. Obviousy the Novice has no idea what he is doing....But the Expert gests complacent...I am no expert, but have had to mentaly fight my complacency at times...

If that makes any sense? :shock:

I fired off a #11 primer in a .50 t/c hawken I received from my father in law after he passed away. Fortunatly I took it out on the deck first, it went off and scared the bejebers out of me, it hung on the wall for 14 years loaded, and I had no idea. Needless to say there was considerable pitting after examination of the barrel.

Latest posts

Back