T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong20001

Reaction score
T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???

OK guys have a question and need some help. T/C sent me a new Triumph barrel to replace a defective one and I'm having a bear of a problem getting it to come clean.  I've had numerous ML's; in-line and sidelocks with stainless and blue barrels which behaved normally so I kind of know what to expect.  This one has the T/C rustproof coating on the outside but I thought the bore would be normal cromoly steel.  Whatever it is, I can't get the bore to give me a clean patch - and I mean after 2 hours of scrubbing with Hoppe's, CLP, WD40, alcohol and even 0000 steel wool.  I used dozens of patches on a jag, scrubbed with bronze brush wrapped in patches and still get a black or gray rifling pattern on the cotton.  I shot it a few times w/ BH209 and where it takes about 5 patches to get my SS Omega to give me a white patch, this one has me baffled, frustrated and tuckered out.  
Any ideas or suggestions, anyone else have similar experience, anyone know for certain if the bore is coated or not?

Re: T/C Triumph, new barrel won't clean up???

To my knowledge, the bore is NOT coated with anything. I use non chlorinated Brake Kleen to cut thru that heavy duty stuff. I use a saturated patch, then soak the brusk & scrub the bore, & then back to some wet patches & then dry patches. You may have to wet the brush a few times because even though the Brake Kleen will loosen & cut through the grease, it dries quickly. That has removed any type of protectant for me. Just try not to get it n your stock or forearm.

After that I would suggest a "bore cleaner" to remove any "roughness" from the rifling process. Rem X40, Flitz, there are others as well.

I also use brake cleaner, and about 50 patches. You really don't want to shoot it until it's clean. It will bake it in.

some bores will always give off a little grey color even after scrubbing with the hardest stuff you can find.

Using jb bore paste or remington 40x bore cleaner normally does a fresh barrel a lot of good to help knock down rough spots. 75-150 strokes is what I usually do on a new barrel.

Thanks Gentlemen, never had one like this before and was worried that it was coated and I was removing that.  Back to work on it... ;)

Fixed it...

:D Got the Triumph back out on the range yesterday after a very thorough cleaning and lapping. 
Amazing difference in loading ease and accuracy as you would expect.  Only shot it 10 times at 50 yds but my shots were touching with everything I tried if I paid attention to the parallax in my scope.  Cleaned up nicely now- not as good as my stainless Omega with thousands of shots down the bore but acceptable.

:Red tup:  glad it worked out for you! Now load up and practice some more!

By the time you've shot thousands of rounds through her she'll clean up nice and easy too  ;)

A mixture of Kroll Oil & Flitz on a cleaning brush works great on most stubborn barrels.

Back