T-C Impact Issue - Hard to Open Action

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom in Pittsburgh

Reaction score
I have a T-C Impact that I acquired new back in early 2014, serial #VDT05XX. This gun came as part of a package, with a scope and a bunch of accessories.

Ever since I got this rifle, I have had an issue with unlocking the barrel by thumbing back the “ears” on the hood. After the gun sits for a few days, it is no longer possible to open the action with just finger pressure – the hood somehow gets stuck in place and one of the ears needs a slight tap with a rawhide mallet to move it.

I have dealt with this on my few outings with this gun, but I am now in my mid-70s and would like to sell the package, but not with this issue.

The hood is well lubricated, so I’m thinking there must be some other issue. Have any of you Impact owners experienced a similar issue? Any suggested remedies?

I've also sent a similar note to T-C (S&W) customer service, but no response yet.

TIA

rust or rough maching on the under side
My guess also. If you are able maybe remove the part and do a little polishing were the part seems to be tight. Just a little will go a long way. File, stone, or sand lightly. Then place the part back in the gun and see if you made progress. If not try polishing one more time. If that doesn't work I would need my hands on the gun to see for myself.

Something is binding. Get lots of light on it and see if you can figure out where. Then do the polishing. Let us know how it goes.

I have a T-C Impact that I acquired new back in early 2014, serial #VDT05XX. This gun came as part of a package, with a scope and a bunch of accessories.

Ever since I got this rifle, I have had an issue with unlocking the barrel by thumbing back the “ears” on the hood. After the gun sits for a few days, it is no longer possible to open the action with just finger pressure – the hood somehow gets stuck in place and one of the ears needs a slight tap with a rawhide mallet to move it.

I have dealt with this on my few outings with this gun, but I am now in my mid-70s and would like to sell the package, but not with this issue.

The hood is well lubricated, so I’m thinking there must be some other issue. Have any of you Impact owners experienced a similar issue? Any suggested remedies?

I've also sent a similar note to T-C (S&W) customer service, but no response yet.

TIA
I have the same issue! Some time it opens some time not. I bought for my wife new. But it worthless!

Page 38 of the Impact Manual (1st Gen) shows the whole nine yards of the disassembly.
Page 39 for the Impact SB Manual. I'm figuring that it is a gummy lube issue.
Both manuals are available as pdf downloads.
I own both.
Best to all.

Last edited:
I bought 2 back in the day new in the box that’s the way they are until they get broken in now they work flawless no issues just have patience and it will work fine.
I put a little grease on the latch to help with break in process.

Latest posts

Back