T/C hawken. 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25154

Reaction score
Was just given one. Serial number 25787 I think it's from 1973 but not for sure. Think it's 1-48 twist. Has pre drilled wholes abd long range sight tang. 15 16th barrel. Was told by people at tc many yrs ago they started at 1000 and made 2 runs of 5000 a year. One in spring another in fall. Does all this sound about right? Figure some one on here might know for sure. I remember seeing one in 75 but it had lighter color stock and clear coat finish I think. This is dark nice black walnut with oil finish. Could use a few drops of boiled linseed it's kinda dry now. Thanks all

You might inquire on the sister site, muzzleloading forum.
But at the end of the day, you got a nice old rifle. The 45 is a nice caliber for up to deer size game.

Thank you. I believe it will handle the maxi hunter great tc made. The ones with the narrow smaller grease grooves. I think they made them in 3 r 4 weights. Maybe 320 heaviest but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it right. They made so many different weights and cal. I've got some have to dig them out. I think it will handle .45 kieth bullet mold I have in like 255 grains if memory serves. If I size them I know it shoots round balls good. Tried them with 60 70 and 85 grains 3f 777. Only 25 yards though. If it won't handle conical I'm fine with round balls. Seems odd to put a long range tang on a round ball only gun though.

Thank you. I believe it will handle the maxi hunter great tc made. The ones with the narrow smaller grease grooves. I think they made them in 3 r 4 weights. Maybe 320 heaviest but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it right. They made so many different weights and cal. I've got some have to dig them out. I think it will handle .45 kieth bullet mold I have in like 255 grains if memory serves. If I size them I know it shoots round balls good. Tried them with 60 70 and 85 grains 3f 777. Only 25 yards though. If it won't handle conical I'm fine with round balls. Seems odd to put a long range tang on a round ball only gun though.
I love my .45 TC Hawken. I did have some trouble with finding bullets/loads it liked. I didn't try patch/round balls but the general consensus is they shoot pretty well with the right load/patch thickness. From past conversations on here, people found the best accuracy with round balls at relatively light charges (most likely due to faster twist rate than round ball specific guns) I ended up getting some Goulds style cast bullets online and they shot pretty well out of my gun and are also HIGHLY recommended for hunting bullets. Some others also found their best accuracy with pure lead bullets rather than lead alloys. The maxi hunters shot pretty poorly out of my gun as did most of the modern saboted/belted bullets. I did find that the hornady XTPs with a sabot shot well though. That is what I would shoot if I couldnt get or cast the goulds

If you private message me with your address, I can send you some of the goulds to try out before you have to commit to buying 50 or so or buying a bullet mold for them

Was just given one. Serial number 25787 I think it's from 1973 but not for sure. Think it's 1-48 twist. Has pre drilled wholes abd long range sight tang. 15 16th barrel. Was told by people at tc many yrs ago they started at 1000 and made 2 runs of 5000 a year. One in spring another in fall. Does all this sound about right? Figure some one on here might know for sure. I remember seeing one in 75 but it had lighter color stock and clear coat finish I think. This is dark nice black walnut with oil finish. Could use a few drops of boiled linseed it's kinda dry now. Thanks all
They started at SN 1000 in December 1970, think January 1971 was when we started seeing them. I have one with SN 1243 that I would never sell, has several small shape differences and nose cap I'm thinking is 1 mounting screw not 2. Hammer on lock slightly different. She still shoots true. Made in the USA !

I've noticed the plug seems to be different. It doesn't seem to have patent breech plug. My later guns have smaller whole in bottom of plug. This gun doesn't. Is it because of smaller bore diameter r is it a different style plug? Also lock seems to have a fly. Dont recall my later guns having one. R my renegade locks. Might take a look at them again and see. The plug and lock seems different also to me. And little things like nose cap and brass inlay instead of washer on lock screw. Etc. Thanks for replies

i have a never been fired tc Hawken serial number 45xx. it has a case colored trigger guard. beautiful rifle.
The Hawkens came with brass trigger guards. Did someone swap the brass for a Renegade steel trigger guard?

My .45 T/C Hawken is a kit gun. My Dad put it together many years ago.
My only issue with it, it's heavy. My CVA .45 Hawken is lighter, and for me easier to shoot off hand.
Not made as well however.
to the OP. Enjoy your new rifle.

Latest posts

Back