Wipe Out Bore Cleaner on a Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldelkhunter

Reaction score
I have been using this stuff for years on CF rifles and it is all its cracked up to be. Always wondered how it would work on a muzzleloader so I went out to their site and they recommend it for that application as well.

That's pretty much all I use. My barrels are spotless like a mirror inside.

oldelkhunter

Plastic fouling is not near what it use to be. Since the intriduction of the polymere sabot - plastic sabot fouling has been greatly reduced. The self lubricating aspect of the new sabots helps this issue a bunch.

I also shoot a lot of sabots from all of my different ML's and really do not see the sabot fouling. I am not saying that there isn't any but nothing that concerns me any longer.

Plastic fouling is not near what it use to be. Since the intriduction of the polymere sabot - plastic sabot fouling has been greatly reduced. The self lubricating aspect of the new sabots helps this issue a bunch.

I also shoot a lot of sabots from all of my different ML's and really do not see the sabot fouling. I am not saying that there isn't any but nothing that concerns me any longer.

That was a concern but seems like it has been addressed by the manufacturers. i just remember scrubbing all the plastic crap out of my shotguns when i used to shoot skeet a lot.

At some point in my cleaning process, I usually run a couple of WD-40 patches through the bore. That may be removing the plastic fouling if there is any.

So, are we saying using Wipeout is not necessarey and is overkill? I currently use plain old Hoppes #9 for clean up with BH-209 and sabots and seems to do the job. However, I am a big fan of Wipeout on my centerfires and would use on MZ if any better!

If you try it with BH209 Let us know how it works, at this time I am using a 50/50 mix of alcohol and #9 there is one thing better and that's MontanaXtreme but its not sold around here so I wait till I have an order for some place that handles it. Lee

If you try it with BH209 Let us know how it works, at this time I am using a 50/50 mix of alcohol and #9 there is one thing better and that's MontanaXtreme but its not sold around here so I wait till I have an order for some place that handles it. Lee

I will try that first before anything else. I personally don't like anything that is Ammonia based . I also understand Shooters choice is coming out with water based gun cleaning stuff. Never have seen such a mix of chemicals to clean guns with .

oldelkhunter

That was a concern but seems like it has been addressed by the manufacturers. i just remember scrubbing all the plastic crap out of my shotguns when i used to shoot skeet a lot.

I know what you mean... I shoot trap and the plastic build up in the choke is terrible - but I have reduced it a lot by first using bore butter and now Montana X-treme in the choke. I shot almost 200 rounds last week end and never did see one of the black wads of plastic fouling come out of the bore and when I pulled the snake thru it polished the bore and the choke...

You did peak my curiosity tho - i did have to run a search on 'wipe out' and it seems like a really good product, although I have never used it...

You did peak my curiosity tho - i did have to run a search on 'wipe out' and it seems like a really good product, although I have never used it...

It's a great product..removes every last bit of fouling from your bore..just foam it in and come back in a few hours or a few days and patch it out.

I just checked it out on MidwayUSA's site. This disclaimer appears:

"It will dissolve brass, bronze, aluminum, and copper." :?:

What do you use for a cleaning rod to wipe it out then?
I'm guessing short exposure of brass or aluminum to the stuff is inconsequential...?

What do you use for a cleaning rod to wipe it out then?
I'm guessing short exposure of brass or aluminum to the stuff is inconsequential...?

I use dewey rods for cleaning my CF rifles and I have a Dewey muzzleloader rod that I have never used but it is the same as the CF rods except it doesn't have the ball bearing handle.

Latest posts

Back