Bushnell glare and flare...... or a Nikon pair

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
I'm still shopping for a good laser rangefinder that I feel I can afford.

I know JJ, you told me to buy a Leica, but considering all my wants and needs at this time, I just am not on a Leica budget. :( I am narrowing it down to Bushnell or Nikon.

I spent a long time locally looking and comparing tonight. I found both the Bushnell Laser Pro Scout and the models below that were prone to a very significant amount of glare from the store lighting. Enough to hinder the veiwing process. On the other hand the Nikon Monarch Laser 800 and the 440 had no glare or flare issues. I think tonight I really saw the difference in lense coatings between both these brands. I'm leaning toward the 800.

I have found them as factory demos on OpticsPlanet.com with full 2 year warranty, and other places much cheaper as refurbished with only 90 day warranty. (not sure I like those odds).

I tend to agonize over little details and even smaller money, so someone please be a pal and push me over the edge, OK? :?

Spitpatch said:
I spent a long time locally looking and comparing tonight. I found both the Bushnell Laser Pro Scout and the models below that were prone to a very significant amount of glare from the store lighting. Enough to hinder the veiwing process. On the other hand the Nikon Monarch Laser 800 and the 440 had no glare or flare issues. I think tonight I really saw the difference in lense coatings between both these brands. I'm leaning toward the 800.

Flare is something I've not seen. The cheaper Nikons have monoculars so dark they are of no use to me.

This is a bit dated, but was from a lot of testing: http://www.chuckhawks.com/rangefinder_roundup.htm

The cheaper Nikons have monoculars so dark they are of no use to me.

The solar eclipse has lifted in Athens, AL. I have the Nikon 440 and have used it for two years and it has served me well. But in reality, I can tell little difference between the the Bushnell and the Nikon in actual field use. Optics aren't too hot in either.

It was mentioned in the review-- of the rangefinders tested, the Leica has the best glass by far. It needed it the least, due to the bright LED read-out.

For LCD rangefinders, you really do want a bright monocular to make out the reading. The larger exit pupil normally wins.

Just like binoculars, it you want something bright-- low power and large objectives are the ticket. When the monocular is only 20mm or so, a 4X makes a lot more sense than a 6, 7, 8 power.

I had the Nikon and it was the worst I have used. I have used the Bushnell Scout it is a very good range finder, but seems to drain batteries quick even when not in use and in cold weather, but that is what I would recomend for the money. I use a Leica now and it is the best I have seen. As far as the Nikon I could not see the readout in bright sun and at dusk, and the optics lost the brightness very early in the evening rendering them useless. IMO I would save a few more pennies and opt for the Leica if at all posible, or at least go with the Bushnell Scout. Good luck.

Well, it seems that most everyone agrees the Leicas are the best, but I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 that works just fine for my purposes. It will range just about anything out to around 500 yds. or so. Anything over that is iffy. You need somewhat of a reflective target to get anything consistently past there. But for all of my shooting, it more than covers everything for me.

Well, it seems that most everyone agrees the Leicas are the best, but I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 that works just fine for my purposes

SURE it will! :D I don't use rangefinders for anything OTHER than ahmm... RANGEFINDING! :shock: The only one I WOULD use as binoculars would be the Leica Geovids. I'll probably have to look into those....

No problem Spit!

Last year, I left my bino's at home and used only my Leica for both. It worked ok! Alot less clutter around my neck!! :roll:

Besides the better glass. The Leica's aquire the range quicker than anything I have tried! At any range, they read out QUICK! You should be waiting on the smoke to clear, not waiting on your rangefinder to give you the data!! The SCAN feature is nice as well.

If I cant talk you into them... Between the two models, get the ones that have the most features and the highest range on non-reflective targets. See if your local store will let you go outside and stretch the range out! See which one reads faster and longer.

just my .02 :lol:

JJ

Doohan Quote:

"See if your local store will let you go outside and stretch the range out! See which one reads faster and longer."

By longer I guess you mean like "farther away". I don't think the store will let him use them until the batteries run down!

Sorry JJ..I just had to say it. I feel smarter today and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D :wink: :lol:

Doohan said:
No problem Spit!

You should be waiting on the smoke to clear, not waiting on your rangefinder to give you the data!!

JJ

JJ You do have a way with words 8)

I might just wait a little longer and spring for the Leicas :wink:

Q. are the 800's missing the features of the 900's?
are the 800's an older model?

Back