1:20 twist .45 cal, BH209, Lehigh, HornadyFTX/SST/XTP,Barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
Mounted a scope on my Fast twist Knight .45 and did some shooting this past weekend. The Leupold QR bases I installed would not give me enough movement to the right. I shot the first target anyways, to see if it would be worth switching the bases, so all of the POI's are to the left of POA. After finishing the first target, I decided I would try swapping the bases, the front and rear are the same base so I just swapped them around and it gave me plenty of adjustment, putting me back close to center. I had this same thing happen with another set of these Leupold bases, so if you ever run into that, try the switch, it just might get you closer to the center of adjustment.

I had eyeball bore sighted the rifle, and that is when I found out I was running out of adjustment, but at that point I figured I better shoot it first. Just as I thought, it wasn't going to work. Anyways, I ended up walking the bullets in from the top of the target trying to get close to start shooting some groups. After getting it close, I decided to shoot a bullet that I knew would shoot well out of the 1:20 twist, the 350 gr White Power Star saboted bullet. That would be the bullet all the way to the right in this pic.
022.jpg

005-1.jpg

Overall target, the close up's will tell you what sabots were used. 200 grain Lehigh bullets were used with 120 gr loads of BH209 for the remainder of the target.
001.jpg

After shooting the 350 grainers, the next load using the 200 grain Lehigh, 120 grains BH209, and the Harvester EZ load (smooth blue) hit very high. My POA was the lower right bull. These sabots are also just to easy to load, the range rod nearly loads it by itself.
006-1.jpg

After making a scope adjustment the Knight HP brown sabot was next, these load extermely hard.
007-1.jpg

Next was the Harvester Blue Crush Rib, these load quite easy, but boy do they shoot. I will do some more testing with these sabots and all the bullets. The Barnes and Hornady's also shoot better with this sabot out of this rifle.
008-1.jpg

The next sabot was the T/C Green XR, thes are also MMP like the brown Knight HP and load about the same, quite hard.
009-1.jpg

The last group of this target was using the tan MMP sabots that are supplied with the Barnes ExpanderMZ bullets, they loaded just about right and shot quite well.
010-1.jpg

The next target was shot the next day after switching the bases around. I eyeball bore sighted it and was able to move the reticle back closer to the center. The rifle was left dirty, and I continued to shoot without cleaning or swabbing. I used the 180 gr XTP mags to get it on paper, the first shot hit to the right. I made my adjustments and shot a 3 shot group that averaged 1" right of the bull. Made another adjustment and shot another 3 shot group, the last shot hit low. Here is the overall target and the first two groups.
012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

The next group was shot with the 195 gr Barnes ExpanderMZ and what is becoming my favorite sabot for this rifle, the Harvester Blue Crush Rib. This group is scary good.
014.jpg

The next two groups were with the .358" 200 gr FTX, I made a scope adjustment between these groups. I could get two close, then the last wanted to wander. I really think the barrel was pretty hot at this point, I should have gave it more time between shots.
015-1.jpg

016.jpg

The last group, was shots 39, 40, & 41, without cleaning or swabbing.
017.jpg

All groups were shot with the NFPJ conversion and Winchester W209 primers. All loads fired instantly. I did have a head scratching moment in the first target, if you look real close on the first overall target you will see a "?" near the top. I think I might have made my first loading mistake, but am not entirely sure what happened. That load recoiled so hard my scope came back and hit my shooting glasses and "rung my bell". :shock: Needless to say, it got my attention, and when I removed the Win W209 primer the back of the primer was blown clean out. I could see the anvil, and I don't know where the primer part went. I have forgotten to add powder before years ago, but I think I just might have loaded my powder twice. :? I was using two different length loading rods, and I just might have made the mistake by not keeping track of the witness mark. I am 99% sure I didn't, but I cannot explain the heavy recoil, and both my loading rods were on the bench.

Just be careful while loading, I know I sure will. I have checked the rifle out, and everything checks out good. I really think the fast twist likes most of those bullets, and I might be able to improve a couple of the loads by tweaking the powder charges, I just wanted to know what they would do at maximum horse power. :wink:

I really think this barrel would shoot conicals as well as my White .451, but this bore is .452" and the .450 slip fit conicals just drop right through the bore. If I get some .452-.453" bullets I will give it a whirl. I am also thinking this rifle might be a candidate for going sabotless with .451-.452 jacketed bullets, stay tuned for that experiment once I figure out what bullet/size fits best.

If you can find one of these 1:20 twist Knights, I say grab it up. Whoever said they don't shoot, sure wasn't shooting the powder and bullets I tried. If you look in the bullet pic up top, the two bullets on the left are what was available when these 1:20's hit the market. Touting 150 grain loads, unheard of velocity, these 155 gr and 180 gr XTP Mag's just can't be rotated that fast. I used 80 grains on the 155's and they spun off to all directions, the 180's shot fairly well with a light load of 80 grains.

More testing is in the works, I just hope I can get those .358" FTX's to hold a little tighter, it may take a little more juice.

Busta

Tell me more about this 1/20 Knight.... What is it and why is it a 1/20 - thought their rate was 1/30....

Where did you find it?

Is it on the elite/extreme action?

sabotloader said:
Busta

Tell me more about this 1/20 Knight.... What is it and why is it a 1/20 - thought their rate was 1/30....

Where did you find it?

Is it on the elite/extreme action?

Sabotloader,

You mean to tell me you never heard of the Knight Super .45 D.I.S.C. Rifle w/1:20 twist that came out back around the turn of the century? The came out with them, T/C had the 1:20 twist Black Diamonds, CVA and Traditions also had them. Traditions still used the 1:20 twist , last I knew. Knight and T/C replaced these barrels with tht 1:30/1:28 twist barrels after several complaints that the 1:20 twist was too fast. In all actuality White used the 1:20 twist in their rifles 10 years before that. The twist rate wasn't actually the problem, it was the bullets that were the problem. Not very many bullets were over 180 grains and nobody wanted to shoot conicals or heavy saboted bullets when they just bought this .45 caliber Super Magnum that could shoot 150 grains of powder.

The sad thing is that most of the 1:20 barrels were in Green Mountain's hands after they were rejected and they chopped the receivers off to sell them as project barrels. They are a pretty rare thing these days, but if you look around there has got to be one or two stuck in the back of a closet somwhere. Mine just says ".45 CAL D.I.S.C." on the side and is fluted just like the MHC barrels. This originally used the orange Disc's, I have the Extreme NFPJ conversion installed in it.

I can't remember exactly what year these came out, but it had to be around 9 or 10 years ago.

Busta: Thanks for the detailed report.

Like sabotloader, I want to know more about your rifle. I recently purchased a NIB SS .45 Elite.. but was pretty sure it's a 1:30 twist ?

I've had it at the range only once, so far. Like your's, it really likes the 195 Barnes MZ's with the supplied sabot or with the blue smooth Harvesters. The 200gr XTP (.400) with the blue Harvester was also MOA.

I had one of those Super DISCs in .45 - 1:20 twist. Think Busta and I went to different schools together. :wink:

One of my best friends now has that rifle and really likes it. Still looks like a new gun.

Best way to determine twist (that I know of) is a tight patch on rod with a rotating handle. Measure the total travel of the rod from plug to crown as the rod is withdrawn while allowed to turn freely. Note the amount of rotation.

example -- a rod makes .75 revolutions while being withdrawn and the rod travel totals 24". It would then take 32" of travel to complete one revolution so the barrel's twist is 1:32.

Well done report and good info as usual, Busta. :)

Spitpatch said:
Busta.... how do you identify a 1:20 vs. a 1:30?

Spit,

As far as from the outside, my 1:20 says ".45 CAL D.I.S.C.", I THINK the 1:30's are just like the "Extremes" but I am not positive on that. They are both fluted, or at least mine is.

The best way to know is with a tight fitting jag on the ramrod. If it makes a full turn with about 5"-6" to spare inside the barrel it is a 1:20, if it doesn't make a full turn inside the barrel it would be a 1:30.

Another easy way to tell is if you can remove the breech plug at look at the rifling. A 1:20 will make about one and a quarter revolutions inside the barrel, a 1:30 will run out of barrel before making a full revolution.

I got to thinking about that Knight sale at Centerville this weekend, you just might run into a boatload of these "WHITE ELEPHANTS". And maybe for cheap, as they were avoided like the plague in the past. I sure won't look past another one if I run into it, and the price is right.

If you see some .45's at the sale, ask if they are those worthless 1:20 twist tomato stakes, then buy them all. :lol:

Just take a look at your 1:30, keep that mental picture in your mind, if you see a 1:20 you will know it right away. Good luck at the sale, you lucky dog. :wink:

Underclocked said:
I had one of those Super DISCs in .45 - 1:20 twist. Think Busta and I went to different schools together. :wink:

One of my best friends now has that rifle and really likes it. Still looks like a new gun.

Best way to determine twist (that I know of) is a tight patch on rod with a rotating handle. Measure the total travel of the rod from plug to crown as the rod is withdrawn while allowed to turn freely. Note the amount of rotation.

example -- a rod makes .75 revolutions while being withdrawn and the rod travel totals 24". It would then take 32" of travel to complete one revolution so the barrel's twist is 1:32.

Well done report and good info as usual, Busta. :)

I hope you don't mind Rich, I ran into something that may take you down memory lane with your old Super D.I.S.C.! :wink:

This would have been right before the Blunderbolt Experiment! :lol:

http://www.huntchat.com/printthread.php ... adid=14192

Busta,

My first T/C encore in .45 had a 1/20 twist barrel. I had no where close to the accuracy success with it that you have shown here.

Great post and nice shooting.

Chocdog

Interesting rifle. Great shooting. Those 195gr Barnes are lights out!

Great report Busta! The 195gr Expanders are really doing the trick in that rifle. Back when I did the .45 thing I could almost always bank on one of two bullets shooting great those being the 195gr Barnes Expander and the 200gr SST. The more things change the more they stay the same.

GOOD SHOOTING! 8)

Busta, I am very interested to see the actual difference in drop between the 200 gr SST, FTX and Lehigh at 200 yards. Any chance that will be in your testing?

Reese said:
Busta, I am very interested to see the actual difference in drop between the 200 gr SST, FTX and Lehigh at 200 yards. Any chance that will be in your testing?

Yes, that is in the plans. I need to order some more sabot's for the FTX's. I also need to go to the farm for that testing, my outback range is only 100 yards here. Just don't hold your breath, because I don't know when it will be, but it will be before hunting season for sure. I really want to smack one with that .358" 200 gr FTX and a good load of BH209. :wink:

Latest posts

Back