Solution to a $10 problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all I'm cheap sue me secondly I don't really wanna spend $10 on something so stupid that's a pack of smokes anybody know something I can use other than one of these

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-25-10-54-56-000.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-25-10-54-56-000.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1
my wally world had those on clearance for $3 after deer season .

Tony, ask the wife to take apeak at her sowing needles…

Better yet… go to the “sewing store” yourself! 😎

I like JOANN, or what was ”Jo-Ann Fabrics,” when I was younger. They’re a large chain w/many hundred stores nationally. You can check to see if there’s one near you: https://www.joann.com/stores

Always check online for their coupons. The coupons aren’t as good as they used to be, but they used to run a “60% off one item” coupon, regularly. That’s how I got my $100 Ott (crafting) magnifying light for $40. Perfect for fly tying, or fine bead work for rendezvouz, or inspecting any detailed work you might be doing, or…

They have a large selection of needles, in all sorts of sizes and shapes. (I buy some about 6” long, for threading internal hooks for rubber worms.)

Break the eye off your needle, stick the blunt end in an old wine cork (ask around, or ask a restaurant), and have a nipple pick for virtually nothing.

Or, cut an antler tip from a small or sacrificial rack, drill a small hole, and epoxy a needle in that.

What’s neat is that you can find many different diameters, lengths, etc. of needles. You might well be able to find one that’s “just right,” instead of buying one for $10 and saying, “I guess that’ll work.”

While you’re there, check out their 100% cotton pillow or mattress ticking, for cutting round ball patches. Bring your calipers or micrometer, match the fabric to the thickness of patches you like. A single yard of fabric will cut hundreds of patches. (That’s another rabbit hole!)

I buy all sorts of stuff at the fabric store for fly tying, too. Lots of neat stuff to see on a rainy day, if you have a craft or sewing store nearby!

If you are a fisherman or know one, wire for rigging baits/lures comes in different sizes/pound test and works well. I have various sizes in my shooters box.

Heck, Tony, i will send you a box of stuff that you can use as nipple picks, free. I can walk thru the house or garage and find a dozen different things that would get the job done. One thing i learned tho, if its too small it’ll get lost in a pocket or gear bag. If you can insert or store it somewhere on the gun, easily, you’re less likely to lose it and more likely to find it when you really need it. I just stab a sewing needle into the rubber butt pad, in case of emergency.

Back