Encore & FPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Hi folks
Does anyone out there have any experience with the Hornady FPB out of an Encore?
For M/L season, I have been invited to hunt a piece of property that the lay of the land will require shots in the 150 yard range. The problem is that the landowner will not permit the use of anything that leaves any plastic, of any kind, on his property. He feels that his cows will eat just about anything along with the grass. His property, his call. This effectively eliminates the use of any saboted bullet, or powerbelts.
So, anyone with any experience with the FPB in an Encore, chime on in. I would like to get some ideas as to what I can expect before I sink a lot of money into these bullets. Lord knows, they ain't cheap.
Thank you

I tried the FPB in my Encore Endeavor with 90 gr of BH209, It was the first load I tried with them and I got a 3/4 inch group with overlapping hole.
I tried it several other times just in case I draw a tag where I can not use sabots. the biggest group I got with them was one and a quarter inch and I believe that would have been better except I knew I wiggled when I shot.
There are a couple of things I recommend. I run a consistent 60 pounds of seating pressure, I experimented and it works for me, I think a lot of peoples problems come from to little seating pressure. Not all guns like the same amount of powder if you don't get a group that suits first try try 10 up and 10 down on the powder measure. I often fine that my powder measure and some one else throw a different amount of powder at the same setting which may account for the difference in some loads.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Hornady FPB out of an Encore?

I shoot them out of my .50 Encore. My powder charge is 120 grains of Goex Pinnacle 2F. Accuracy is not that great in my gun: About 2.5" groups at 100 yards. Could probably do better if the powder load was tweaked a little.

Have killed a lot of hogs using that load: Some of them went over 300 pounds on the hoof. The 350 grain FPB drops hogs dead in their tracks.

Latest posts

Back