Cleaning trigger mechanism on an Encore...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
I noticed black "goo" starting to accumulate on the trigger mechanism of my Encore. What should I use to clean the gook out that won't cause gumming or anything like that? I am not nuts about actually taking the trigger/hammer assembly out of the frame. I'll just end up with a pile of pieces. :roll:

I did that once with my Encore. I used a brake cleaner, then lubed with a dry lubricant. Underclock will probably have a better way for ya. :wink:

You can probably wash it with any action cleaning spray. But do not forget to lubricate it after that.

I might be able to help as I bought an Encore within the first few weeks it became available. I have since as it is simply my nature to do so compleatly disasembled and reasembled it a time or two. If you dont feel comfortable taking apart your trigger, and Idont blame you, this is what I recammend you do.

First I recammend you dissasemble and remove the receiver portion from the barrel portion of the ML.

After doing this, if you have a wooden stocked Encore I strongly recammend you first remove the butt stock next. I woud do so even if you have synthetic butt stock as doing so will greatly aid you in cleaning the trigger assembly.

You will be left basicly only with the trigger assembly and you can now in a WELL ventalated area, perferably outside while wearing good rubber gloves and eye protection, clean the trigger assembly by spraying the hog snot out of it with either action cleaner or break cleaner which ever you prefer. I would do so untill no more junk came out while I was spraying it. Make sure you buy a spray can of cleaner that comes with the itsy-bitsy tube for spraying in tight places.

I would also advise strongly that at least once a year while you have the trigger assembly in the state I described above, you remove and clean compleatly the firing pin assembly as this is quite easy to do so. If you do make absolutely certain you either disasemble it with the trigger assembly inside og a plastic bag as to eliminate the possability of loosing any parts (been there, seen it, lost it, found it after 1hr+ on my knees W/FL) or take it apart while sitting at a well lit desk on a gun cleaning mat.

When I tok my firing pin apart, considering how well I maintain my firearms I was amaized and a little horrified at just how much junk
was in there as well as the most feared word in blued steel guns, rust. I will add though it was the first time I ever cleaned the firing pin durring the first 6 years I owned my Encore and after well over 1500+ shots fired out of it.

Hope this was helpfull.

Tom, you might not believe what I do to mine! :shock: But it's clean and grit/corrosion free. Works good too. :)

There's nothing to fret when pulling an encore trigger apart. Mike Bellm gives a very good tutorial on doing a trigger job on an encore. You can use it to make your trigger better or just take it apart and put it back together. A little scarey the first time but easy once you've done it a few times. It'll take you all of 10 minutes to pull it apart, clean it up and reassemble.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=456&

By the way, Mike Bellm apprenticed under PO Ackly and is probably the most knowledgeable guy in the world on what it takes to make a TC work. He's opinionated and tries to sell his stuff, but that's how he makes a living. All around great guy and his site is a wealth of info.

www.bellmtcs.com

Latest posts

Back