Where could I buy a mold for streamlined bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Staley

Reaction score
Shore would like to find a mold to cast my own lead bullets to be fired in sabots ... 452 diameter but long and spitzer shaped, something aerodynamic like the sst or shockwaves... anybody got any ideas? The whitetails I hunt with smokepoles wouldn't know they're being shot with cheap bullets 'stead of those 'spensive ones... thanks for thinking about this.. Les

Great question! I've wondered the same thing. With a cast bullet, I'd look for a flat nosed bullet that doesn't have lube grooves. I know Mountain Moulds and Lee will allow you to design you're own mould but I could buy a lot of jacketed bullets for that price.

A guy sent me a bunch of these bullets to test last week. These are a .451" 400 grain bullet. He had Veral Smith make the mold for him. I wanted to get them tested theis weekend, but it rained yesterday, and today I feel like crap. I agree with mparks on the flat nose in a lead bullet.

020.jpg

This is another bullet he sent me for testing. :wink:

021.jpg

Here is a link to the LBT site.

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/

He has some molds on sale, last updated 8-6-09, so you might find something in there you may like.

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/moldsale/lbtmo ... t82009.pdf

Lead cast bullets

Thanks guys, I left an e-mail for LBT.. will let you know what develops.. Les

Busta, that top one looks like a great bullet - what does it weigh?

OK, what does the other one weigh and what mold is that out of? :)

Underclocked said:
Busta, that top one looks like a great bullet - what does it weigh?

OK, what does the other one weigh and what mold is that out of? :)

:lol: It still weighs 400 grains, and he says they shoot good out of his 1:28 NEF.

I think the other one weighs 400 to, or maybe a little more, and I have no clue what mold it is out of but they measure .501" as cast. Probably shoot good in your Apex. :wink:

I'll let you know when I weigh them. OK, I'll go set up my scale and get back to you.

Officially 410 grains on the saboted bullet without sabot, 424 grains with the sabot.

The short fat one comes in at 398 grains without lube. I'll let you know how they do when I shoot 'em.

mparks said:
Great question! I've wondered the same thing. With a cast bullet, I'd look for a flat nosed bullet that doesn't have lube grooves. I know Mountain Moulds and Lee will allow you to design you're own mould but I could buy a lot of jacketed bullets for that price.

The moulds from Dan at Mountain Moulds are VERY nice! If you shoot alot,,,that mould will pay for itself in a very short time. 8)

mould

I use a Lee 458 mould that cast 400 gr bullets I than resize them to 452. They also can be shot in a 50/458 sabot

Back