Michigan's new crossbow season/regulation's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCee67

Reaction score
FYI on the NEW Michigan crossbow regulations:

Crossbows may be used:

By anyone over 50 or older during the Oct. 1- Nov.14 bow deer season statewide.

By any hunter age 12 and older during ANY hunting season in Zone 3 (southern Michigan), including the bow hunting season.

During any season in which a firearm may be used, for both big and small game statewide.

Crossbows used for hunting are restricted to no more than 350 feet per second.

Crossbow hunters are required by state law to wear hunter orange while hunting. The DNR will pursue changes to modify the hunter orange law for crossbow hunters.

A crossbow stamp will be required in addition to hunting liscenses for those using crossbows. The stamp, which is fre, will help the DNR monitor and survey crossbow hunters over the next three years.

The regulations have a three-year sunset. Crossbow hunters will be surveyed over the next three years and regulations will then be re-evaluated by the DNR and tne NRC.

The crossbow changes do not affect hunters with disabilities who are currently hunting under the authority of a DNR-issued crossbow permit.

Well thats a start, I just don't understand some of these states thinking.

We have been using crossbows for years in Ohio No problems

You have to wear hunter orange WHAT :roll:

Do they not know that there are compound bows out there that shoot flatter and faster than a crossbow.

I suspect that the people against this as with most states are the long bow hunters

Hunter orange was in effect due to that in the past Michigan hunters could hunt with crossbows only during our deer gun season, which all hunters must wear orange even if hunting with bow's.
I am glad they have made changes, and they will "probably" change the regulation before our bow season starts .

Latest posts

Back