Remington 1187 Premier question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Reminton 1187 Premier 3" magnum autoloader. It comes with all the chokes and a cantilever rifled barrel and 100 3" steel #2 shotshells. Anybody shoot one of these? Are they reliable? I have always owned Remington pumps but have limited experience with the auto. I am getting back into duck and goose hunting and that is what it will be used for. The gun is mint. What do you think?

Rick

The Beretta and Browning shotguns have a more reliable gas system.

Browning and Beretta have a 70% market share on the gas opertated shotgun market...they took it from Remington.

It should be a good reliable gun. I am unfamiliar with the 3.5" 11-87 but have plenty of experience with the 3" gun. The standard 11-87 has been a very reliable gun for me and kind of the standard.

IMHO I would put Remington behind Benelli and Beretta..... Good company to be in.

I bought a new 11-87 SP 3" earlier this year. It has function perfectly. I don't know how you'd beat it.

The 11/87's work perfectly in the "old south" . Place yourself in a goose blind on the Chesapeake Bay in January and you can read the markings on the ammo the bolt closes so slowly. :roll:

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
The 11/87's work perfectly in the "old south" . Place yourself in a goose blind on the Chesapeake Bay in January and you can read the markings on the ammo the bolt closes so slowly. :roll:

Chocdog

ROTFLMAO :applause:

choc-dog said:

Chocdog

As long as it is 100% at an Ohio sporting clays destination, I'm happy. We had some higher priced guns that were not 100% even there. You know who you are! :shock: :lol:

choc-dog said:

Chocdog

Now that you say it.. that was the reason I left my 11-87 SC in favor of an O/U. I had tens of thousands of rounds on mine and the action slowed considerably or I percieved it to be doing so. That was in a sporting gun..

I wouldnt thing that would arise in a hunting configuration.. Chuck's 11-87 performed flawlessly this past winter in Ohio. :think:

Can you expand a bit more ?

tx

After watching all the manufactures perform in Ohio. It was a very easy decision for me when i got home. I bought a brand new camo Remington 1187.

When Remington re-introduced the 1100 in 1987 and called it the 11/87 the gas system was modified but the shotgun basically remained the same except for cosmetic changes. The new 11/87 "sold" well even with a $125.00 price increase per shotgun. The marketing guys did their job well.

The growing popularity of Sporting clays in the early 90's changed the "bar" on the semi- automatic shotgun market and frankly put Beretta on the map.

Remington controlled the automatic shotgun market since the 70's and Beretta stoled it from them in less than 8 years with a better product.
The Beretta 303/390 is a lighter shotgun and a has much more reliable gas system.

Browning entered the fray with the Browning Gold which FN/Browning aquired the rights to redesigning the SX-1 after purchasing Winchester.
Browning needed a gas operated shotgun design which would remain in their product mix longer than 2 years.

John Rossioux (sp.) re-designed the Winchester super-X model 1 into the Browning Gold and Winchester SX-2/SX-3 as we know it today.

The origional Winchester super-X model one was the finest gas operated semi-automatic shot gun ever built in the USA. The Super-X shotgun was absolutely over engineered and over built. The Super-X equaled a Winchester model 12 with a gas system.

The Win Super -X has the first short stroke gas system and 100 % steel components except for the recoil buffer and the EASIEST AUTO shotgun to clean of them all.

John Satterwhite shot Win super-x shotguns before Benelli picked him up.
John needed the "fast" lock time the Super-X provided and I assure you it is fast. Almost close to a "3 shot burst".

My Brother has a Skeet shooting friend that has over 250,000 rounds through his Win super-X skeet gun and the only part he has replaced is the recoil buffer.

The sad part is Winchester built less than 95,000 of these fine shotguns which qualifies this fine blend of steel and wood as a total marketing failure. I will not get into that subject.

Reimington still owns the total production numbers for the semi-automatic shotgun market with the 1100/11-87 but they "gave" the opportunity for the European manufacturers to enter the U.S market with a re-designed shotgun and reverse Remington's market share in 10 years.

Once you loose market share you never get it back, at least with guns you don't.

Chocdog

big6x6 said:
As long as it is 100% at an Ohio sporting clays destination, I'm happy. We had some higher priced guns that were not 100% even there. You know who you are! :shock: :lol:

I forgot the Bennelli SBE II gagged on Toms' 25 year old reloads. My experience with the 11-87 was 2 cracked forearms (from recoil) and the inability to cycle Federal 3" slug loads reliably.
You wanna test function and performance bring all these auto loaders to the mid-atlantic coast for some sea duck shooting.
Given my druthers I'd take an 870 any day, any climate, ANYWHERE!

Back